Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head


It has been RAIN-ING this fall. Seems like every time I see that the blankets of leaves covering my yard are dry enough for the leaf blower, that's the afternoon the heavy, dark clouds roll in. "No problem...I can just wait until they dry out again," right? Except they're not drying out because it keeps on raining!


My laundry room flooded (yeah...), there are several spots in my driveway that are oscillating between standing puddles and soft, goopy mud, my cement parking pad is turning a lovely shade of green (I suspect mold has something to do with that), and the potted plant out on the front porch died long ago from drowning. *Sigh*


It rained again all last night, and I was beginning to wonder if we would ever dry up. But, the sun came out this morning and reminded me of just how brilliant the rain can be.

Water fascinates me. How can it be so breathtaking and peaceful here in it's simplest form, yet so magnificent and powerful when combined with all the other droplets of the ocean? Crazy!

I do like the rain...I just wish it would clear up once in a while so my leaves can be taken care of...and so my laundry room can recover. :)

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pictures Linds! Did you take them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of fascinating water--did you hear about the big surf competition at Waimea Bay yesterday? 40-50 FOOT waves! Hopefully this link will work: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/12/san-clementes-greg-long-wins-actionpacked-eddioe-aikau-bigwave-surfing-contest.html

    Your raindrop pics are awesome. Reminds me of when I got my Rebel--it was Christmas and we were at my dad's near Asheville. My brother and I went out taking pictures, but there's just not so much to take pictures of in December...so we have a lot of interesting fungi pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even better than the photo in the link I posted earlier--Russ came home and showed me this. http://live.quiksilver.com/2009/eddie/videos.php?btn_videos=_over
    Watch the video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie - yeah, I probably looked like an idiot prancing around our 'forest' in my pajamas this morning taking pictures of raindrops!

    Cindy - AWESOME links! Oh how I would have loved to be in the middle of all of those people watching from the shoreline! Doesn't it scare them when their boards snap in two??? I kind of immediately think of my body snapping in two - - - yeah...surfing like that is definitely not in my future, but I can definitely appreciate and love observing others do it! :)

    And, the photo kind of gave me the stomach-up-in-the-throat feeling you get when you just start down a huge roller-coaster. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's what you meant by taking pictures of raindrops. I thought you had stood outside in the rain with your camera pointed up at the sky....now I'm not so worried about you!:) I like them- I'll have to show Brigham when he wakes up in the morning...he always appreciates details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsay--yeah, the broken surfboards were a little sobering! And it would have been amazing to be there. (Hello, when would it *not* be amazing to be on the north shore of Hawaii??)

    So what aperture were you shooting your raindrops with? They're so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures...oh, beautiful kids too!!!! love you

    ReplyDelete