Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Perfectly Dinky


My Christmas Tree.

I don't remember how many years old it is... all I know is that it was mine long before I was married. In all it's 5-foot splendor, it makes me happy. Every Christmas. Some of the branches are hanging much lower than they should. Others would probably fall off if they weren't being suspended by strands of lights. I think in all it's years I have bought one small box of ornaments for it, yet I can't help but notice each Christmas how much harder it is to find room for them. Homemade from Kenzie, beautiful WillowTree ornaments from my in-laws, fun hand-me-downs from my parents. If I had to give this tree a theme, it would be 'pieced together from love'. There's just something satisfying about the fact that this little tree would feel entirely out of place on a department store show floor...

Maybe I love it so much because I can relate to it - - - I often feel like the branches of my personality are drooping. And sometimes, they definitely need to be supported by some outside source. I, too, would feel entirely out of place if I were on display. And, though I may not provide happiness and joy to the multitudes of people walking through the department store, I like to think that I do bring happiness to my family and others who are willing to stop and take a look.

As always, we had a wonderful time decorating the tree this year.
"Mom, these angels are weird. Why don't they have faces?" McKenzie asked as she pulled a few Willow Tree ornaments from their boxes.
"I don't know. They just came that way," I half-heartedly replied.
When I walked back into the living room hours later to scan the tree again, I gasped when I saw this angel... then, I laughed out loud.
One of my WillowTree angels is no longer face-less...and I have a pretty good idea who fixed that.

It's fun this year to have a baby in the house. Miles is so sweet, and completely adorable.
Happy December - and Merry Christmas!

8 comments:

  1. That is a GREAT analogy. I love how Kenz took matters into her own hands! I can just imagine her thinking, "Well I can fix that....there you go little angel, now you don't have to be creepy and faceless anymore..." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your tree is pieces of love, because mine is the same way. I always thought it sad that some kids don't get to hang up their ornaments they made on their tree. Katherine LOVES seeing all of her works of art on the tree.

    I love that Kenz fixed your ornament. I know I gave you a willow tree ornament one year and it makes me smile thinking that maybe it was the one I gave you. I have to admit, I think you are a better mom than me though. I think I would've gotten mad if Katherine had done it. But you see it as making it even more special. Awesome job Linds! And your pics of Miles are very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! The "fixed" ornament made me laugh out loud, too! And it looks like you are having fun with your new camera... I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally LOL at the angel! Good for Kenz, and good for you for not freaking out about it! (Which I might have done!)

    BTW--your pictures look great, and I find it completely ironic that you're so excited about getting a big camera and I'm so excited that I'm going to get a little camera!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so refreshing to read your blogs and see your beautiful children. Thanks for sharing part of the holidays with us last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! That angel totally rocks. Warning, however- You might want to think about moving the others a bit higher... or they may all share the same fate.

    Have I told you that I am totally intrigued by pictures of Miles? I don't think he looks anything like the other two! McKenzie looks exactly like Brian, Carson looks exactly like you, and... I don't see either in Miles! He's dang cute, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your little tree. Our tree is really little--like 12 inches tall, but it is the only one we've ever had and I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will never look at Willow Tree figures the same. :)

    ReplyDelete