Thursday, September 24, 2009

Meet my Mother-in-Law

There's a special place in my heart for one other family member who came to visit over the last three months. I haven't mentioned her yet partially because I haven't had time to really sit and think about what I want to say, and partially because I haven't been able to find how to say it. All I knew was that my heart was bursting with love and appreciation and gratitude for the selfless service she so readily offers to me and my children.

My dear mother-in-law, Jean, was my right hand after Miles was born. Her plane was landing as I carried Miles into our home for the first time, and she stayed for two full weeks as our family adjusted to the new little life. I leaned on her like a crutch during those two weeks. As I wrestled with nursing and hormones and healing, she took my older kids under her wing and kept them entertained and happy to the point where I couldn't have worried about them if I'd tried. She listened to McKenzie read story after story, played game after game of Uno (after game, after game, after game, after game...), broke up fights and helped herself to the fingerpaints. She fed them, cleaned up after them, and loved them. She listened to me cry out my hormones and talk out my frustrations. And she did it all with a wide smile on her face that made me believe she actually wanted to do it all. I generally stress when someone tries to help me because I'm worried about how they're feeling - - - not with Jean. I've told my friends countless times, "Jean has a way of making me feel like she actually wants to change the poopy diaper!" And, if that's not talent, I don't know what is!


So, thanks, Jean. Thanks for your personality, your example, your energy and, of course, your wonderfully willing help.

4 comments:

  1. I love my MIL too. It's nice to marry into families that help us be better people. I'm glad she could come out and help you. Thanks for introducing me to members of your family through your blog. No wonder you are such a happy person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been impressed with Jean everytime I've had the priviledge to spend time with her. It's obvious why Brian is such a good guy when you meet his parents. I'm glad you have such awesome in-laws, especially when your parents were so far away for so long. I know I think a lot about the evening we spent talking with Jean at her house. I was impressed that she so willingly shared her mistakes and regrets with raising her children as well as sharing things she was glad she'd done. Not a lot of people are so willing to help improve the next generation by sharing mistakes. Thanks for a memoriable night Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so amazing- I hope you know how lucky you are!! Although I've only met Jean once, she's my role model for the kind of MIL I want to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you don't mind my commenting - I saw your blog post's title on Katie's blog and had to read it. You hear so often about how awful mother-in-laws can be and it was a breath of fresh air to hear how wonderful yours is! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete