Wednesday, May 31, 2017

McKenzie's End Of Year Accomplishments (Catch up Post)


Ever since she was tiny I've known to expect great things from McKenzie.


She is packed to the brim with potential. Sometimes I take that for granted... I know I do. But even so, she keeps on shining in everything she does.


She was selected to apply for membership into the National Junior Honors Society because her teachers felt she was a remarkable example of the 5 pillars they stand for: Scholarship, Service, Leadership, Character, and Citizenship, and after writing a beautiful essay she was inducted into it here at the end of her 7th grade year.


In the same month she was preparing for the end-of-year band concert and told us that she had a 'surprise' for us. She felt so nervous about this concert, and I couldn't understand why. Until the concert started and I saw her beautiful self stand and walk to the mic to MC the entire concert.


Her speaking voice was so clear and confident and the Proud Mama Tears were Right There.


She has done so well in learning to play that Oboe. She's a hard worker, and an example to me that hard work pays off.


Next year she will be jumping into choir, which I love, but I am so happy she had the experience of band.

The end of year awards assembly was next.


Each teacher selects one boy and one girl from each grade to receive a special class award for showing all-around character, and McKenzie received two of those awards. One from her librarian (and was awarded a kindle):


and one from her science teacher. She also received a citizenship award for having the highest marks in citizenship for two years in a row.


The awards are wonderful and I'm happy for her that she is able to see her hard work paid off with accolades. I hope, however, that she understands that the awards she holds in her hands are just things. Pieces of paper. A beautiful pin. A Kindle Fire. I hope she understands that the true award is in herself. It's in the growth she has experienced, in the knowledge she has gained, in the strengthening of her abilities to be persistent and committed. Because not all hard work is recognized and not all growth is measured. So, to my Mama eye, I see right through all those pieces of paper and see her heart. And that is when my own heart swells with pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment