Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Scrambled Thoughts XX

1) Everyone wants to hold Eliza


I get it. I do too. She's pretty special.

2) My Kids Have No Idea How Lucky They Are


Not everyone has awesome grandparents, after all.



3) 5:00 AM doesn't feel like 5:00 AM when you're getting ready to go to Disneyland.


These guys had to be at the school by 5am in order to catch the bus to Disneyland. They didn't seem too put out when their alarms went off, and their eyes don't even look sleepy. I'm pretty sure I'd be saying a different thing if the camera had been turned onto me.

4) My Kids Struggle



Maybe that's not a nice thing to say. It's probably not. But it's true. They struggle. Let's be honest, I understand that it's a little difficult to put things away after you use them - I struggle with that, too. But to put it almost away? That just doesn't make any sense to me at all. If the chocolate powder, for example, belongs IN the cupboard, does it really save much effort to put it NEXT TO the cupboard? Apparently it does.

5) You Know That Feeling of Staring at a Sleeping Baby?


I hope I never forget that feeling. I'm pretty sure it's the definition under the word: peaceful.

6) My Camera Always Seems to be Out These Days.



Every time she looks at me I feel like I want to capture the moment forever. Which is kind of funny if you think about it... can you imagine if that urge stayed forever? But it's not funny at all if you don't think about it. And sometimes life is way more about feeling than it is about thinking.


Can't you just feel the softness of those little cheeks?


She's just like a perfect little baby doll. But so much better.

7)  Everyone loves a cute 4-year-old.



That's why McKenzie used Timothy as a key player in the video she had to make to run for Student Council President. Timothy interviewed her and said adorable things like, "Vote for McKenzie Alder for StuCo President." And at the end even disappeared off camera singing "What can I say except you're welcome," from Moana.

8) Also, we made posters.



Because posters help you get elected into StuCo, too. She worked pretty hard on all of this, and I worked pretty hard too at not posting cute pictures like this up on my Instagram feed. Because apparently that is quite against the rules and would have disqualified her from running.

9) Do you Ever Dream About Hula Dancing?



Because I'm pretty sure Eliza does.

10) Never Trust a Teenager to do your Makeup.



Or, maybe I should say never trust MY teenager to do your makeup. Unless you want to go somewhere looking like this. I knew they were up in my bathroom doing 'makeovers'. I had even given them the makeup. They came down the stairs hiding their faces and on the count of three turned and looked at me at the same time. I was expecting something beautiful, and when I saw these faces I let out an audible gasp that was somewhere between horror and surprise. They thought it was hilarious.

11) Eating Lunch in Costume is the Way to Go



Especially if you have a good friend doing it with you.

12) These Smiles are Going to Turn Into Giggles Soon.



I just know it.

13) Sometimes it's Really Hard to be the Grownup.



These kids work hard on the swim team. And twice a year when the bubble goes up and then comes down on our local pool, they have to go into Henderson to practice. It's a couple of weeks of lots of driving and late nights, but the kids seem to really love it. On the last night of practice, I took them all out to the Cheesecake factory for some, well, cheesecake, and they laughed and joked and acted just like I remember acting when I was a kid. I found myself oscillating between joining in their antics and putting a stop to them. I guess that's what adulting is like sometimes.

14)  School is almost over. That means Field Day!



And Field Day means Otter-Pops. And sweaty kids. And smiles.

15) You know that feeling you get when your child invites you to come to their recorder concert?



I totally had that feeling. Recorders are not the most delightful instrument to listen to. So I didn't have high hopes for this concert. But I love Miles, and was excited to hear him play, so we packed up the family and sat on the hard benches to listen.


I had been totally wrong. It was absolutely fantastic and absolutely fun. The songs were funny and the kids were happy. There was even a dance at the end. It ended up being a most favorite night.



16) If You're Making Dinner and you See Your 4-Year-Old pass the window as a Turtle...



... you should stop making dinner and grab your camera. Because it will make you laugh every time you look at the pictures.

17)  Remember How We Started This Post?



Everyone wants to hold Eliza. And I've made it a point to always say yes when I hear one of her big brothers or sisters ask, "Can I hold Eliza?" Even if they're not done with their homework. Even if they've been argumentative and disobedient. Even if it's long past bedtime.


Because babies don't stay babies for long. and before we know it no one will be asking to hold her at all because she'll be running around all on her own.


But for now, we'll dress her like American Girl dolls and snuggle her close every chance we get.

No comments:

Post a Comment