Sunday, June 4, 2017

Eliza's Blessing Day (Catch Up Post)


Every time I look at her I think, "She is so beautiful."


This dress has been hanging in our closets for over thirteen years. I say 'our closets' because at any time you might have found it in my closet, or you might have found it in McKenzie's closet. We both have loved the dress through all of these years. It's a beautiful white, with a hint of blue and every time I see it I think, "That is so beautiful."


McKenzie wore it all those years ago. I remember searching for it in all the department stores when she was tiny (this was before Amazon Prime, you know). Hours and hours were spent in this labor of love and when I saw this dress, I knew. We had so little money, but this was special, and we had enough. 


As Eliza's blessing day was approaching I asked McKenzie if she wanted me to find Eliza her own blessing dress. And with a small smile and a shake of her head, McKenzie said, "No, I'd like it if she wore this one."


We even had the little headband I had bought with the dress all those years ago. 


And Eliza wore them all so beautifully. Of course, the day was not about the dress. Nor was it about the headband. It wasn't even about the bond between sisters that the dress symbolized to me. It was about God. It was about Eliza. It was about family and promises and hope for a bright and challenging future. (Because aren't all futures about challenges?)


This little girl has been born into a family absolutely full of love. And absolutely full of God. Which, might even be a bit redundant, don't you think?


Here's to our bright and challenging future full of love, full of God, full of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment