Saturday, May 22, 2010

To Friends - Everywhere

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive..."
- Anais Nin


All through my Utah-life, I was blessed with exceptional friends. The kind of friends who taught me to love my life; who found joy in small things; who sometimes cared more about me than I cared for myself; who stuck by me when they were frustrated at my weaknesses; who coached me into wise decisions; who weren't afraid to give me hard advice; some catered to my adventurous side; others to my emotional side; through them, I learned how to be a good listener; one taught me how to analyze my own feelings; another taught me about strength in difficult situations; one gave me life; one was my sister; one laughed at my jokes; one called me wife.

It seemed impossible to leave all of that behind (except the one who called me wife, of course), and move across the country to a city I'd never heard of. And I won't admit that I couldn't have picked North Carolina out on an unlabeled map. Of course, there is often a palpable excitement that accompanies new adventures, and I was not immune to that. But there was a strong undercurrent of worry whenever I thought of the friends I would leave behind, and the potential lack of friends that may be on the other side. I soon found, however, that good people are everywhere - - - and North Carolina seemed to have an unfair share. I fit here. I love it here. Because my good fortune with friends has continued here.


This beach trip had been in the works ever since three of the five families moved away last summer, and it was fun to see how much had changed in just a year. Someone should tell these kids that they are growing way to quickly.



You know you and your kids have found great friends when you feel comfortable sharing one beach house and one fridge (one fridge!) with those 10 adults and 16 children.

You know you and your kids have found great friends if...

...they'll bury you in the sand even though it's Sunday and you're still in your church clothes.


...they don't tease you if you look like this while you're picking up seashells.



...you believe her when she says she saw a dead turtle a half a mile away from the beach house, so you trek the whole clan out there to see it, and still love her when it all turn out bogus.



...they watch your awesome ninja skills and praise you for them.



...they teach you how to boogie-board and kayak.


...well...no explanation necessary.



...they challenge you to an arm wrestle, don't let you win, and then laugh when you make a poo-strain-face.






...they sit in the hot-tub on 'kids day' and don't complain about the murky water or pee smell.




...they agree with you when you say your Spiderman kite is 'pwetty awesome'.



So, here's a shout out to all of my friends - wherever you are - thanks for making my life so wonderful! :)

10 comments:

  1. Oh beautiful...all of it...words and pictures.

    (But I notice you didn't say anything about important friends who give you just awesome books!! ;))

    (Or maybe that was deliberate!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it--the writing and the photos (I promise I was going to write that even before I saw what Cindy said). Those are some great friends. I especially like the poo-strain part. That was funny. Your new top picture is amazingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such fun pictures! What a great time with friends--and certainly no better place to be together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is so awesome that you guys could pull off a "reunion" beach trip. I wish I could come crash the party. I think beach vacations with good friends is the closest thing to heaven! And you're right, there were an amazing amount of amazing people in Durham.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great post! I too can appreciate the blessing of wonderful friends! Those are some great people you posted about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your photos. I'm so glad you had a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your writing AND your pictures.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so awesome that you guys all got together. I bet it was great to see everyone. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys always look like you have so much fun! You were able to get some great shots!! Love them! Hope everyone is doing well now that you are back at home. We need to get to a beach soon! You make it look like a lot of fun!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOly cow I am sooo jealous right now! It brings back so many great memories! It was so nice to see a big picture of everyone! I hope that everything is great! Thanks for sharing your trip!

    ReplyDelete