Friday, September 14, 2007

One Of Those Days

~
*This morning we went to the park and, to McKenzie's horror, saw a dog. She really has this unhealthy fear of all dogs that I'm not sure what to do about. If we have one dog sighting during the day, the rest of the day is spent with uncontrolled emotions and lots of tears. Seeing a dog somehow sweeps the feet out from under her and she never quite gets back to normal. So, I was not excited when I saw our unwanted park companion this morning. But McKenzie shocked me: she panicked for a second right when she saw the dog, "MOM! MOM! WILL YOU HOLD......." she started to gain control "....my hand?" So I held her hand as we walked past the barking dog and straight to the swings.
"McKenzie!" I said, "I am so proud of you! You handled that dog so well!"
"Yeah, I saw the dog and said 'I am not a brave girl' - then, I changed my mind and said, 'I am a brave girl!'"

*Brian overheard this original song by McKenzie while she was in quiet-time. It melted my heart: "My mom is so beautiful. And she obeys Heavenly Father."

*Ever since McKenzie saw that her friend, Mikayla, had her very own Book of Mormon, McKenzie has been dying for scriptures of her own. So, this week for Family Home Evening (yes, we know it's Friday...) we drove down to the LDS store next to the temple (about 45 minutes away) and bought a stylish, blue, paperback copy of the Book of Mormon. She has been ecstatic! The whole drive home she leafed through the pictures and talked about Lehi and his family in the 'rin-den-ness'.


*On the way home from the LDS store, I told McKenzie we could go home and make a scripture bag for her with some of my old fabric. She said, "This is a WONDERFUL day! I get to go home and make a scripture bag after bedtime, when it's really dark outside!"

*Perhaps my favorite statement of the year: We were reading in her new scriptures tonight -

"And it came to pass that (Lehi) was obedient unto the word of the Lord, wherefore he did as the Lord commanded him." (by taking his family into the wilderness.)

I stopped and said to McKenzie, "Lehi was obedient, so - what did he do that was obedient?" McKenzie looked at me and in a very sing-songey tone she said, "Well . . . . Lehi went pee when the Lord told him to . . . . ."
~

1 comment:

  1. I can't get over how big she looks in these pictures. Man I miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete