Monday, September 29, 2008

Apple Worms and Heart Worms

I mentioned before that the apples on our apple tree have ripened and turned into fantastic baking apples. Since then, I've been making apple bread almost as fast as I can eat it (which is doing wonders for my waistline) and as I was cutting into all those juicy apples the other day, I noticed something peculiar.

I picked up an apple that was rather disgusting-looking, fully expecting to throw most (if not all) of it away. But when I cut into it, I realized that the bruised part was really only a small fraction of the entire apple, and that most of it was perfect and delicious! So, I happily cut out the part that needed to go, and sliced up the rest of it to drop into my bread dough.



The next apple I picked up looked nearly perfect. No big bruises, no soft flesh, just two tiny brown spots. But when I cut into that apple, I noticed that there were tiny tunnels burrowed throughout the entire middle (I'm guessing the two tiny brown spots were the entry and exit points of a very hungry, happy worm). The entire apple found itself in the garbage.



Since my brain loves analogies so much, it started drawing a million lines of comparison between this apple-experience, and life in general. The first analogy that came to mind was the obvious one: outside looks don't always reflect the heart, and it's what's inside that really matters anyway.

But the second analogy that came was a little more hidden, and I haven't really been able to stop thinking about it for a few days now. Satan (like the worm) only needs a tiny, almost unnoticeable, entry point to be able to get into my heart and destroy what is there. I may not even notice the entry; I may not even feel the slight decay as he eats away what is most precious to me. This happens to me every so often - Satan weasels his way into my life and I find myself feeling...different...all the sudden. Most times I don't even know what is different until I start filling my heart with more spiritually uplifting things - kicking Satan out in the meantime.

It's unnerving to recognize, at that point, how much Satan had 'eaten' before I noticed him. Thankfully for me, my heart is different than an apple, and with the Saviors help can replenish and strengthen itself over time.

One of my best friends bore her sweet, simple, sincere testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ on her blog yesterday...and the beautiful way she described her life, in the eye of the public, touched me very deeply. The religious things I believe in are so special and sacred to me that I tend to hold those cards close to my heart. I take things too personally, and the thought of someone laughing at or mocking those things I hold most dear is almost unbearable. But reading Katie's testimony shined a little light into a shadowed part of my heart: the part that is eager and excited to share those things that bring me the most happiness in life. I noticed a little worm hiding there in those shadows, silently smirking for all the years he has kept me afraid. With the Savior's help, I hope to replenish and strengthen that decayed spot so that someday it will be as full and healthy as the spot that knows my Savior lives and loves me. That He has made it possible, through the sealing bonds of the temple, for me to be with my family forever.

Because it is these things that bring me the most happiness in life. And, though that worm has made my heart a little too weak to share it openly and energetically, I still feel the truth of it deeply and undeniably. Thanks for being such a great example to me, Katie!

8 comments:

  1. Katie is amazing, and so are you Lindsay! I look up to and miss you both so much. Hey, would you mind posting (or emailing) me the recipe for that apple bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's quite an analogy. i'd have just thrown the apple away! you must really be one of the spiritual giants of our time. even the quiet testimonies are important and they are expressed everyday in the way way you live and treat others. and since you were so amazingly awesome when we knew you we can only assume that your new friends and neighbors are even more blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Berenstein Bears Don't Talk to Strangers (or something like that) book has a similar apple analogy--but your's is deeper and more spiritual and I like it better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great analogy. I really enjoy your comments in RS. You are very thoughtful and take a different approach in your views, which are refreshing. I enjoy reading your testimony and hearing your thoughts on these topics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your thoughts. I find it interesting that you feel like you don't share your tesimony and yet I'm always being touched by the things you say. You are so sincere and it seems like everything comes back to the church. I love it. I love you. I miss you and wish that I could partake of your company and testimony a little more often. It's not fair that you live in the same ward as my brother, but at least that gives me twice the reason to visit that area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very insightful and such a great point. I just love reading what you have to say on your blog and I've really enjoyed getting to know you better.

    Thanks for the spiritual reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Lindsay--what a great analogy! (And you know I love them too.) Just want you to know--while I agree that Katie's blog testimony was lovely, you inspire me all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linds,
    Thanks- that made me feel so good. You are an inspiration to me in just about everything, and when I think of the life I want to give my kids, it's the one you had growing up (or what I imagine you had!). I would love it if my little girl grew up to be just like you...if she ever decides to be born!

    ReplyDelete