Monday, September 8, 2008

Beautimus and Wretchimus

















It was an interesting misconception I had that 'all mirrors are created equally'...that, when given an image to reflect, each one would display the same features. So, imagine my confusion when I would get myself wonderfully presentable in my bathroom mirror (nicknamed Beautimus) only to find that minutes later, a glance in the hall bathroom mirror (nicknamed Wretchimus) showed me that I looked fairly awful. Over the past few weeks I have conducted tests and conclude that this is a consistent finding. My mirrors have developed opposite personalities. My theories on 'how' this phenomonon came to be still have yet to be proven (though it couldn't be due to the fact that Wretchimus has more than three times the amount of light hanging over her than Beautimus).

Over the weeks I have come to a sort of agreement with these mirrors. Whenever I need a sort of 'pick-me-up', I will glance into Beautimus. She will unfailingly show me all of my best features and make me feel lovely and confident - even with bed-head and old mascara smeared under my eyes. Whenever I feel like I really need to look nice in the light of day, I will study my face in Wrechimus. She will undeniably highlight my worst features and scold me when I need more cover-up, a closer pluck job, or anti-wrinkle cream.

So, if ever you see me looking exceptionally awful, yet unfoundingly confident, you can place your bet that I got ready surrounded by the loving words of Beautimus. Conversely, if you ever see me with too many layers of cover-up and red, swollen eyebrows, you can be sure that the advice I was receiving that morning was from Wretchimus.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:58 PM

    That is funny taht you named your mirrors. My mirrors are Mackenzie and Erika. Today, Mackenzie kept playing with my hair and saying pretty hair. I have been so tired today that I havn't had the chance to take a shower yet but it made me feel good. Erika just has days when she loves to cuddle with me. sorry so long but I thought it was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny! If I named my mirrors they would all be wretchimus. I just can't imagine you ever looking bad. And I'm not just saying that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great post. It is so true that mirrors have personalities. I tossed my wretchimas full length mirror along with my scale. I was sick of my self esteem getting hammered with those things. I prefer to live in ignorance. It is very liberating. For the record, your wretchimas is lying. You are way too gorgeous to ever have a bad looking day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cracks me up. I totally agree that some mirrors have personalities. I think most at the mall are beautimous and the ones at home suddenly become wretchimus. The outfit usually doesn't look quite as great at home. Hmmm...is that on purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with the whole mirror thing. I have seen mirrors that make you feel like you are the pretties woman in the world and ones that make you rethink what you decided to wear and how you did your hair. I hear you girl. I don't think you are crazy, mirrors are crazy! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh. I don't believe I've ever looked bad in a mirror. That must be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And for anyone concerned- YES that was a joke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I've been blog-hopping this afternoon while my little girl is napping, and I happened upon a link to your blog! so...surprise! (It's me, Emily Dalton) How are things going? I think the last time I saw you was at Jennie's "baby shower" at Roberts. I'll have to send you an invite to my blog. Send me your email to plastic_bucket@hotmail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing the difference light can make! I, however, feel that mirrors should be banished altogether on the days my children keep me from getting a shower (which is more often that I'd admit). I loved your football pics too. I also miss cougar football (mostly because I can't sing "Hey baby" at the top of my lungs with 50,000 other people anymore.)

    Thanks for the Twilight comment on my blog. Those books are insane! I didn't say half of what I wanted to because I was afraid of offending vampire worshipers. Those books put me in a bad mood too. In fact, after I finished the first one I told my husband that I just felt hollow. But that's just me. Others are in love, I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know there was a mirror that I could look good in! Where can I get one?...................

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am with Audrey...curse them ALL! I will look into the chocolate brown mirrors of my dog's eyes. Kids are too risky, sometimes they tell the brutal truth!

    ReplyDelete