Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dutch Apple Bread

Sorry I've been so lazy in posting this recipe! A couple of you have asked for it, and all of you should try it because it is so, so, so good!

BREAD
1 cup butter/margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 cups peeled, chopped apples

*Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla
*Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
*
Pour 1/2 of the flour mixture into the creamed mixture and mix well. Then, pour 1/2 of the buttermilk into the creamed mixture and mix well. Pour the rest of the flour mixture in, mix; then the rest of the buttermilk, mix.
*Fold in apples
*Pour in greased pan

TOPPING
1 cup flour
5 T. brown sugar
5 T. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
8 T. butter/margarine

*Combine all dry ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly; sprinkle over dough in bread pan.
*Cook at 350 for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes up dry.

This makes 3 medium-sized loaves. I LOVE this recipe because I usually have everything I need on hand (as long as I have apples). Oh, for the buttermilk - if you don't have buttermilk sitting in your fridge, mix 2/3 cups regular milk with 2 tsp. vinegar before you start, and let it sit while you mix everything else together. By the time you need the buttermilk, your regular milk will be a little curdled - mix it up a little and there you go! Homemade buttermilk! :) I rarely use store-bought buttermilk anymore because this works just as well and then I don't have a bunch of leftover buttermilk going bad in my fridge! My grandma might be shamed...she loves to drink buttermilk straight out of the carton.

7 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Thanks, Lindsay... can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... this has nothing to do with your bread recipe, cause I have no intention of EVER making bread. I couldn't turn traitor on my Wonderbread ways like that. :)

    Really I just wanted to tell you that I was crying, laughing at the comments you and mom left on my blog. So dang funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe sounds delicious! I have somewhat of a weakness for delicious baked breads, and I am so happy to have another yummy recipe! By the way, what type of apples do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily - I think green apples are the best to bake with. Especially in this bread because it adds a little sourness to the sweet dough. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I'm happy about the recipe and all, but I thought I was pretty clear in my comment that I wanted you to make me some... jeesh! (J/K)!

    And if this is the only treat at book club... well then all is right with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing. Although I don't really need any help with my waistline either! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super yummy! We tried out your recipe! I think I'm in love! So in love that I had to give the other two loaves away I don't need more help with the post baby chub!

    ReplyDelete