Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Waiting on Tomorrow


Tomorrow, I think. Tomorrow is a new day and tonight's sleep will reboot my system. But that blasted tomorrow keeps becoming today and, for some reason, today hasn't been going very well lately. My batteries are empty, and my recharging stations seem to have lost power. Brian's residency program has stolen him away from me - literally - and placed him in a city three and a half hours from our home. He's been gone for 4 and a half months now (you read it right) coming home every-other weekend when he's not on call. And on the other weekends, I pack the kids up and make the long drive out to spend some time in his tiny (tiny) apartment. We miss him. We miss him a lot.

It's our anniversary today. It's hard not to cry when I think about it, though. I'm overwhelmed with gratitude and longing for the little things that are hard to appreciate until you miss them...
* his 6'4" frame that can change the light bulbs without dragging stools all over the house
* his smile that is always on his face as he walks in the door
* his happy disposition that lightens the mood in our home
* his playfulness that pulls the kids to him
* his muscles that could easily unscrew the bolts under the sink when it's clogged with mud
* his nightly snacky-appetite that drives him to pop popcorn for us, or heat up some chips with cheese melted over, or dish up bowls of ice cream
* his consistency in mowing the lawn before it starts sprouting
* his willingness to fix the master toilet when it sprays water up to the ceiling every time I flush, or the kids' toilet when it won't stop running
* his help in decorating the house and wrapping presents for our child's birthday
* his remembering to wheel the garbage out to the corner every week
* his attention to my emotions and insistence that I take a little break when I need it
* his efficiency in whipping the house into order when dishes, clothes and toys threaten to eat our children
* his love of a house full of sleeping children, two spoons in a carton full of our favorite ice cream, and our feet propped up in front of our current favorite show
* his calm reminder that life is to be enjoyed


I'm not quite the same without him. I'm still trying to figure out how I can feel so busy and so lonely at the same time... We only have two and a half weeks left until he comes home for good, but I have to be honest in saying I'm a little concerned about the state he'll find our home and family in at that time - hopefully today is no indication of how things are going to be then: this is night four of Miles sleeping in just his diaper because he has no clean pajamas, my kitchen floor hasn't been mopped in so long I'm afraid there might be mold growing in the food spills, the toilet in the hall is currently running - it's probably an easy fix, but I just have no energy to stand up and lift the lid to see what the problem is. The phone has been ringing off the hook, and I have cried to four different people through the receiver. Four people! I've had four extra kids in my home for the past three days - so you can imagine the state of the playroom. Two kids decided to wash some 'rocks' in our bathroom sink, which really meant filling up buckets full of mud and dumping them down the drain until no more water could travel down and the whole thing had to be unscrewed to get the mud out - which left a bucket full of muddy water that was later stepped on and spilled across the entire bathroom floor, leaving a 1/4 inch of muck in the bath mats, across the floor and in the closet. The end of today found me on my hands and knees, sopping up the mucky water with quiet tears dripping from the tip of my nose.

And then I felt my children. My sweet, sweet, wonderful children wrapped their arms around me and McKenzie and Carson cried silently with me for a minute. I hugged them tightly and told them just how much I love them and thanked them for being so caring. I assured them that my tears were not a result of anything they had done - just that I missed Daddy and it had been a hard day. Minutes later I went to get another towel and passed McKenzie talking to Miles on the couch, "Mommy is having a hard night, Miles," she explained. "We need to be nice to Mommy. Can you be nice to Mommy, Miles?"

Tonight showed me that, though my family life is anything but stable right now, we are pulling through it. My children love me - and I love them desperately. When Brian found out about the day's frustrations he lent a listening, caring ear - and when I mentioned, at 6:15pm, that I hadn't even thought about dinner yet, he sat in his apartment 200 miles away and ordered a pizza to be delivered to my home.


Thank you, Brian, for finding ways to take care of me. My life is so much better with you in it, and I miss you. Today was a bit rough, but tomorrow, tomorrow is a new day and tonight's sleep will reboot my system. And if nothing else, it will bring me one day closer to having you home with me again. Happy anniversary, dear. I love you.

And now, at 11:30pm, on to figure out that running toilet, wheel the garbage out to the corner, sweep the crumbs from the kitchen and the dry dirt and pebbles from the bathroom, throw the sopping towels in the washer, start the dishwasher...

10 comments:

  1. Oh Lindsay, I wish I was there to offer help! And I so appreciate you taking time from your stressful schedule to take our pictures. And I love your pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Linds. I know how hard these past months have been for all of you.. and I am so proud. Proud of the way you and Brian have handled it....proud of your positive attitude, even when the mud is up to your ankles.....and proud of your willingness to sacrifice. There is no doubt about it, I think you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, Linds! I had no idea you were doing without your husband for so, so long! I would NOT have survived. Kudos to you for holding it together at all! And I had to cry a little for you as I read this because I have had a similar week though Chad comes home every night. Hang in there! You are amazing and so is your little family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary guys:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I had no idea! Good luck holding on for those 2 1/2 weeks. Wish I was there to mop your floor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linds, You are so amazing. I hope these 2 1/2 weeks fly by. I miss you and your silent strength. I miss you laughter and I wish I could've been one of those people you cried to. You have an amazing husband and I'm so happy that you two found one another. It was humbling to read this post and think on my less than stellar day which was nothing compared to yours. Tears filled my eyes as I saw you in my mind cleaning up and not having your cute hubby there to cheer you up. I love you Linds, and I hope today was better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always considered myself to be a pretty independent and self-sufficient girl. But when it comes to raising a family and caring for a home, I have found there is no way I could do it alone. Tyler fills a void that I could never adequately make whole. Besides just the mundane things like taking out the garbages or hanging frames on the wall, there is undoubtedly a role the father plays in the home. Keep your chin up, this season will pass and you will not only be stronger, but more grateful for the partner you've chosen :) Keeping you in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindsay, you are one of the best people I know! I admire you! I cry all the time, and my husband is home. You and Brian are such great people! That is why you have such great kids! Happy anniversary, and good luck with this last little while! You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad that you just have a couple more weeks to go! You are such a trooper and still so generous with your time! You are more amazing than you give yourself credit for. Sending vibes your way for a speedy two weeks so you can be reunited with your good husband!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't realize our anniversaries were so close, but it makes sense . . . that's why we are never home for ours, someone else is getting married and we are there ;) Nice suit on Kenz, and I hope you're getting that end-of-the-marathon-second-wind kicking in about NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete