Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Birthday Eyes


It's all in his eyes. Big. Beautiful. And sometimes the only clue I have into his little heart. He tries to mask his feelings - but those pesky eyes, they never lie. Not to me. When he's happy they sparkle, even when he hides his smile. When he's sad they droop, even when he holds his tears. When he's sick they're flat, even when he's bouncing. They squint when he's confused, open bright when he's excited, dart when he knows he's in trouble. When they catch the light just right they pierce my heart and my face melts into that puppy dog gaze as a reaction to the paradoxical pain that comes from beauty and love. He might just kill me with those eyes.


He seems sure that he turned five last week, but does he look five to you? Because I'm pretty sure someone snuck a couple of years in there while I wasn't looking. We had to be a bit creative with his birthday pictures because he seems to think that shards of glass will shoot out of my camera lens if he glances at it. I decided not to torture him on his big day, so I left my camera home. His birthday was complete with food, friends, fun ... and some of the brightest eyes I've seen on him for a while. Thank you to his best friend, Parker, an awesome sticker, and the museum of life and science for entertaining my child and making him feel like I'm the best mom ever. I'm also the best mom ever because I let Chick-Fil-A's play place take the lunch hour away from us (read: no mess for me to clean up), then I let them trade in their happy meal toys for ice cream (read: no cluttery toy collection to worry about), and we brought free balloons home (okay, this was pretty awesome of me because I hate balloons. Really), where I let them play away the afternoon in front of Mario (read: where I put my feet up and took a nap). I'm getting the hang of this mothering gig.


He felt like a king when the friends came over and he pulled out his new Star Wars encyclopedia. He can't even read, yet he pours over this book every night before going to sleep. The boys in the house were magnetized to it. These four specifically sat here for over half an hour turning the pages, gasping, cheering, and booing at all the pictures.


Then we pulled out the cake... I really outdid myself on this cake *squirm*. Ice cream, frozen in three cheesecake pans, plopped on top of each other, with star wars characters plunked on top. You know what? It tasted awesome. And the kids kept asking for more.

I learned a little something - the amount of time and preparation you put into your child's birthday really is no indication of how much you love them. And, it's not really an indication of how much fun they're going to have, either. Carson's birthday happened to fall in a season where I could give very little of myself into making it special for him. There was no formal party, no special outing... there wasn't even Daddy except for a few minutes through the computer screen. But it was full of his favorite day-to-day things, packed to the brim with hugs and kisses, and at the end of the night when I asked him if he'd had a good day, he looked up at me with those eyes - so big... so beautiful - and I saw my very favorite look flash through them. That look that comes one tiny second before he says my four favorite words,

"I love you, Mom."

10 comments:

  1. happy birthday Carson!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you have this terrible ability to make me cry. And I totally agree with you on the "amount of time and preparation" bit. Happy birthday, sweet Carson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect. In so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! And so glad to have a fellow mom who isn't doing the crazy cake, big party, and all the other stuff that stresses me out and makes the birthday not-so-fun for me. I have already decided that Russell's birthday is going to be simple, but fun for him and me both. Can't believe little Carson is five! He was the cutest little six month old I'd ever seen when I met him. I'm pretty sure someone snuck in some years as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are AMAZING. i LOVE them! I really miss you and your family. I'm so excited to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too agree with the "time and preparation thing." In fact I wonder if sometimes one of the (perhaps ancillary) reasons that we go through these difficult seasons is to strip away some of the non-essentials that we're otherwise too attached to? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday Carson!! I like your observations about birthdays....I agree and am going to put them into practice myself. I do secretly love it when OTHER people throw over-the-top birthdays for their kids though...let them do the hard work and I'll sit back and enjoy it with my kids:).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the picture of them all on the couch. And the cake is SUPER COOL! How did you do the cool design in the top?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That picture of Carson is awesome!! It is crazy to me that he is 5. I met you when he was almost one and the last time I saw him he was not quite 3. Man I really hope we get to see you guys sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a perfect birthday for a 5 year old! He is such a handsome little boy--and those eyes, they are going to make the ladies swoon...

    ReplyDelete