Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Art of a Brush


It was time.

Actually, let's be honest, it was past time... by about 3 years. The last time I got my hair cut, I was standing in my own living room, head upside down, instructing my very nervous husband exactly when and where to snip. I was trying a little trick I learned on YouTube the previous day and, let's just be brief by saying, it ended badly. I tried to convince myself that mullets were coming back in - and that girls could sport them. But who was I kidding! Over the course of the next three days, we hacked away at it a little here and there until I felt a little more willing to show my face in public. Enter in the pony-tails and that's about where we've been for the last two years.

I guess Brian got a little tired of me complaining about my hair (or perhaps he got tired of looking at it) because a couple of weeks ago he excitedly mentioned that he had set up an appointment for me at a nice salon in the mountains. I was leaving the next day, kid free, to spend a few days with him. Relaxing in his apartment, touring the awesome city he lives in, reading during the days while he was working, and now... getting my hair done. I actually don't like getting my hair done. I'm not very good at small talk, plus I feel nervous about providing an adequate 'happy' reaction when the final look is presented. But, as Brian knew, I'd be happy once it was over.

I walked into the salon with my long hair in a thin pony-tail, dangling down in it's usual pattern and said hello to my stylist, Brett. Permanent smile, twinkly blue eyes, and a thick, stylish, sandy brown mohawk bleached blond at the tips. Yep, I thought to myself, he fits the part of a stylist. Warm and friendly, Brett put me at ease quickly - not unlike how I imagine I would feel around an older brother if I had one. He sat next to me and we talked for a while about what I was looking for - I showed him pictures and he gave me some suggestions...

"Alright!" he said, "I've got the look for you! Do you know how to use a brush?"
Odd question, I thought. Who doesn't know how to use a hairbrush? But his tone was serious, as if it wouldn't be weird at all for me to say no. My ego boosted. "Yep," I said. I use one every day! Why, I used one this very morning to put my hair up in this ponytail.

Soon my nostrils filled with the scent of hair color as the foils and highlights were painted, strip by strip, into my drab hair. An hour later, I looked like a frizzy martian as I sank into the cushions of a bay window to read my book, watch the people walk by, and wait for the highlights to do their damage. A wash, a rinse, and then clumps of hair - my hair - hit the ground with finality. I watched every move in the mirror in front of my chair, and I was happy with what I was seeing. The blow-dryer whizzed into action and a large, round brush came out of the drawer next to Brett's arm.

"Now we just blow it out with the brush!" he said. He set to work pinning up portions of hair to dry others. Some he curled under, some he curled over, some he didn't curl at all. I found myself studying his moves, questions filling my brain. I started to ask them, but then I remembered... Do you know how to use a brush, he had said.

Oh dear.

It was too late now. Besides, what would I say to him? So, do you remember that time you asked me if I knew how to use a brush? Well, you see, I thought you meant a regular hairbrush - of which I know all the rules - start at the top and move to the bottom, you know... I felt like an idiot. Of course he didn't mean a regular hairbrush! Who doesn't know how to use a regular old hairbrush?! But this... this thing he was using looked much more complicated.

I watched and searched for answers to my own questions in his work. How hard can it be, right? My hair looked awesome for two days - but then it was time to wash it. And dry it. Dry it. With that thing. I tried, I really did, but I only have two arms, and I'm pretty sure you need a third in there somewhere to help out. Plus, that round brush seems to have a mind of it's own on whether or not it will actually hold the hair I intend it to, and sometimes it decides to curl only the top half of the lock and leave it sticking out like a bad case of bed-head. Other times it curls it violently, leaving me with poofy anchor-woman hair.

Well, I've done it four times now, all by myself (thank you), with varying degrees of success. All I ask is that, if you see me walking around town with a funny looking curl in the middle of my head, just don't say anything.

It's not my fault... it's that blasted brush. (That's what we who are in-the-know call a round brush these days.)

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love it! Like, LOVE it, love it. I'm crazy jealous and now I want to chop my hair. You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay...it looks cute! But, you made me laugh today, thanks! I have SO been there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your hair Linds. Seriously LOVING it! You look amazing! You did before too, but it's fun to see a TOTALLY new look on you. I totally agree with you. Those round brushes take skills. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that Linds! You look great! I really like short hair. Big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just cut mine too! It's funny, because I'm trying really hard to learn how to wear my hear WITHOUT roundbrushing it (yeah, I use it as a verb, that's how good I am:))....anyway, I love it, and don't worry, if you keep at it, it will feel like an extension of your own arm before long (but something tells me you'll be back to the ponytail, which also looks great, by then;)).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! You are so beautiful. Good luck mastering the brush. That is one that I really struggle with, and actually the reason I am thinking about not getting a haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so cute! I know what you mean about not actually being able to do your hair like the the stylist does. That is why now after I get my hair cut I tell them not to do it, that I want to do it myself at home. The girl I go to doesn't even ask itf I want it styled anymore because she knows. It is a bit silly but I used to get so mad and frustrated when I couldn't replicate what the stylist had done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great Linds! Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lindsay, it is super cute! I too learned how to roundbrush this summer. I will say that it gets easier with practice! Yea for a new do! Doesn't it make you feel like a whole new woman? Sounds like you guys are having your beach reunion soon. Wish I were there. Say Hi to everyone you see for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahem. I have never used a round brush. Does that make me weird? Uneducated? Not sure, but I have learned to use a comb while blowdrying (longer hair than mine obviously) to get an upflip or an underflip. I'm thinking the roundbrush would be a good thing to know how to use? Or using your own head to curl your hair around . . . maybe I shouldn't be giving advice here . . . I think your hair is uber-cute, regardless of the tools used to get it there :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I already told you I think it looks great! In fact, I've been happy with my longer hair but your hair is so cute it makes me want to go shorter again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE your hair! I think you look beautiful....just don't let that ol' round brush take control!

    ReplyDelete