Monday, November 1, 2010

Phantom Feelings


I read somewhere that you can hold your breath longer if you make yourself hyperventilate right before taking in the last breath. So even though I may have looked strange standing on the curb breathing in and out as fast as possible, I did have a purpose. The baby inside of me was changing my body and my emotions in many uncomfortable, unfamiliar ways - and the one way I grew to hate the most was the nausea. I found it cruel that pregnancy heightened my sense of smell to a nauseous level, and the last thing I wanted to do was vomit on campus. But there was that building. That one big, beautiful business building with the mystery smell that churned my stomach every time I got close...and my choir class was inside it.

So, I hyperventilated. And just as I drew in my last breath I made my way quickly across the street, into the foyer, down the stairs, across the atrium and through the double doors into my choir class where the clean air in my lungs gushed out, and my breathing pattern resumed to normal with the smelly air. The smell wasn't quite strong enough - once I was deep into the classroom - to make me vomit anymore, but I could count on being miserably nauseated those 5 hours every week. The thing I didn't count on, however, was being nauseated by that building every time I got close for the rest of my BYU education. Even after my sweet baby girl was born and growing, I still couldn't get near that smell without wrinkling up my nose in response to a stomach churn. I suspect it would still be the same today.

This is weird to me.

The other day I was finishing up my scrapbook for 2008 (which is why I've been missing in action on the blogger front). I was just finishing up December - in which I was almost done with my first trimester with Miles - and by the time I was done scrapbooking, I felt terrible! I had come across a few pictures that reminded me of just how awful pregnancy is.

Christmas eve, while the rest of my family had a princess tea party, I put my head down on the table and pretended to be involved.

And, we have a total of 7 pictures of Christmas Day. This is one of them. Let me tell you that it is NOT in my personality to be comfortable sleeping in the middle of the day - ever - and especially surrounded by such a mess!

Blech. I'm starting to feel ill again - how weird! It's got to be mental by this point, so how come I can't control it? Is this normal? Do any of you feel the same way sometimes? Maybe next time I start feeling baby-hungry, I should just look at these pictures again...the sick feeling is strong enough to make me think logically about the whole situation!

Anyway - even though my scrapbook ended on a terrible note, it's done and on it's way to my house as I type this. So my blogging should return to normal now. . . . because you care, right?

5 comments:

  1. Ah, I appreciated this post. Being in the throws (sp?) of pregnancy right now, I'm feeling what you explained poignantly. I'm definitely not one of those women who loves being pregnant, miracle that it is (I never want to come across as ungrateful). But I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognize those faces of nausea and the naps that otherwise aren't needed. What I didn't understand was why I was constantly cold! For me... my puke zone was the bridge I use to run over every morning on my daily jog. I would dry-heave the rest of the run, and little Ella kept asking me, "Are you ok mom?" It is a good thing we love them so much the moment we know they are growing inside us. Love is the only thing that could make me endure that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was first skimming this post and I freaked out! She's pregnant and didn't tell me?!? Then I re-read to make sure I knew what was going on (without child interruptions). Okay so now that I know you're not preggo, I totally agree. I'm blessed to never really throw up, but just feel naseaus 24/7. I ate 1 bite of alfredo sauce when I was first pregnant with Katherine and I haven't been able to touch it since unless it's a tiny bit on a breadstick. I also haven't been able to touch my beloved Kneader's turkey sandwich on foccia since the one and only time I was so sick with Brianna that I ended up at the hospital. Wierd how your body remembers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heck yes I care! I felt like you had abandoned me! If you had been gone any longer I may have been forced to go and find a life of my own... :) But I really do love your blog. Like, a lot.

    Ummm... and I miss you. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I understand! I am so great full for my kids, however I really didn't like be prego. I never did! I love your post by the way! :) I miss you tons too!

    ReplyDelete