Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's Snowing! (And I'm not squinting this time...)

Yep - it's snowing in North Carolina. Love it...LOVE it! Well, I guess it's not actually snowing...but it did snow. All through the early morning hours and into the afternoon leaving us with a grand total of: an inch or so. Yes, you can still see my grass poking through the snow - but I must mention that my grass is quite long. :) The kids and I played all morning and I realized something sort of depressing - after 4 and a half years here, I've become quite a wimp when it comes to cold air and especially wind. I noticed that I was the one saying, "I'm cold. Do you guys want to go inside now?" I tried to make it sound as enticing as possible with some, "into the nice, warm house" and some "how does some hot cocoa sound?!" and more "wouldn't it be fun to curl up in a nice warm blanket and read a bunch of stories?" But they would not be deterred. Especially McKenzie. Of course, she was the one who had snow pants and good gloves. :)











We used cookie sheets as sleds and our ditch as a hill. There wasn't quite enough snow to make a good snowman...plus, the snow was pretty dry. I wish I'd have gotten some more pictures, but I guess we were just having too much fun!

And, I swear, hot cocoa never tastes as good as it does when the mug brings back feeling to my numb fingers, and the steam warms my frozen nose.

8 comments:

  1. Cookie sheet sleds, what a great idea! All morning I was wishing we had a sled, little did I know I had several of them in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good thing about rare snow days is that we enjoy them more than if they were common. I grew up in Wyoming and walked to school in deeper snow, colder temps and higher winds and I was very cold today. Acclimation is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great picture of Carson!

    We were actually pretty warm yesterday, but we didn't go out until about 2, and everyone had on 2-3 pairs of socks, lots of layers, etc. I was hot by the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for snow! We drove to Midway on Monday and thought of you. I can see how you would miss that snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cookie sheets...I bet those worked great. We used old pizza boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the kids had a blast! I don't think I'll do much more sledding this winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:38 PM

    Sounds fun. I wanted to take the girls sledding before parker was here but thiungs got crazy and we ended up not going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! Snow in NC. That is pretty amazing. Did they cancel school? I hear that happens. I'm glad that you finally got your snow. I'm kind of wishing some of ours would go away. We got 4 feet in 3 days around Christmas. The girls love it. Especially Katherine. Luckily we have real sleds so I end up pulling them all over the yard. I can't imagine doing that with a cookie sheet. Talk about a back ache. I'll post some pics soon. I promise. Maybe today after church and new beginnings.

    ReplyDelete