Thursday, June 3, 2021

McKenzie's 17th Birthday



Seventeen.

I read a post on instagram this morning from a friend whose twin babies just graduated from High School. "I blinked..." she wrote, and in her reel of pictures she had them dressed in high school graduation robes, dressed in kindergarten graduation robes, and snuggled up on her chest in a hospital as the tiniest premies I've ever seen.

I always reflect on my kids' lives when their birthdays come around; it feels natural. And while McKenzie's life to this point has certainly gone fast for me, I'm not sure that her baby years, or her toddler years, or even her young childhood years feel as close away as my last blink. So much change and so much growth has happened in the last 17 years that, while I can still see those chubby cheeks and that beautiful head of ringlets, to even say that it seems like yesterday is quite a stretch.

But do you know what does feel like yesterday? Her 12th birthday. I swear Grandma was just here, sitting in my living room with a bright and crooked-toothed smiling Kenzie snuggled under her arm, replaying her own memories of the beautiful day McKenzie was born. Maybe it's because we haven't moved in those six years, so the memories I have of her from that time fit right into the backdrop of my current life, I don't know. But, man, if I woke up tomorrow and 12-year-old McKenzie came walking into my room in those cute little blue-rimmed glasses, I'm not entirely sure I'd notice right away that something was off.

But, well, now here we are, one tiny year away from this beautiful girl graduating. 

And while the last six years maybe haven't shown me the types of personal changes to help mark my own passage of time, they sure have changed her. She has blossomed from a responsible, happy child who was eager to do good, into a young woman that confidently stands for her values and who navigates and takes care of all the aspects of her own life. She is in the business of creating herself, and she's doing it so, so well. 

Her teenage years have been a delight to watch, so much so that Brian and I still have no idea what it feels like to parent through those 'hard teenage years' because for us, they just haven't been that hard. It's not that hard to heat the hot tub and buy marshmallows and graham crackers when all the friends come over. It's not that hard to hug the girlfriends who come over with broken hearts and take them out for ice cream. It's not that hard to love the boy McKenzie likes because she likes such a good boy. It's not that hard to sign her report card of straight A's or to give advice when she genuinely comes seeking it.

She's spoiling us.

And while my love for her is certainly not dependent on any of that, the reality is that it's made it easy for these years to be relaxing and fun.

There is something in her that contributes to making this family flow. She has a deep love for each of her siblings and it has created a beautiful tone in our family through all of her years. 







Anyway, her birthday was fun. It started with family breakfast and presents, and then continued with a shopping trip up to St. George where the cutest little puppy was looking for a home, and since we were in the market for one, it seemed like a fun birthday trip. We took her two best friends, Alex and Kaylee, along with us to give us some extra opinions about the puppy, and to add a bit more fun as having extra girls around for shopping is prone to do.


These three have all been going to Nevada State High School this year - working hard to get as many college credits under their belts as they can before they actually go to college - and it has given them the perfect atmosphere in which to bond.

And, after seeing the puppy, we all agreed that she was simply irresistible!


Best birthday present ever! The whole family was shocked and ecstatic when we walked in the door with her.


She seriously looks like a little stuffed animal.


We finished out the evening with cake: 


And a few rounds of our new favorite game, Secret Hitler (I know, it sounds terrible).


We love you, Kenz! Happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment