Saturday, July 1, 2017

Shark Reef (Catch Up Post)



When my good friend, Alycia, asked me if I'd be interested in buying a Pogo pass, my first thought was, "What the heck is a Pogo pass?" Then I learned that it was a pass you could buy for a small price that would get you admission to all sorts of cool things to do in and around the Vegas area and I decided that, "Yes! For sure we want to do cool stuff this summer!" So I bought six of them. One for each member of the family.

And then Carson broke his foot.

So out went the trampoline parks. Out went the museums. Out went bowling and race car driving and water parks.



It took some scanning through the app to find a fun place for us to go on this completely open day in July, but Shark Reef ended up being the right answer.

We went with the Calverts and most of our time was spent at the Pet A Sting Ray tank.


They were slimy and friendly and always looked like they were happy to see you (which they probably were because most people have food for them (or which they probably weren't because who wants to be looked at and fed all day every day anyway?)).

The sea has always drawn me. I know many people have that same story in their hearts, and I'm happy to share that with all the people who love it as much as I do. It's so mysterious and beautiful.


That year we spent on the beaches in Miami will always have a space in my Favorite Years of All Time box and while most of our year was spent looking on the surface of the beach and the ocean (of course), I'm so in love with aquariums that give us a glimpse of what's underneath the surface.


I'll look at fish like the ones below and they almost don't seem real to me. It seems like they're taken straight out of an animated movie... yet, it's the movie that was taken straight from them.



Here's McKenzie with her friend, Emma. Which is funny to me because McKenzie's middle name is Emma. So, here's Emma and McKenzie Emma.



I don't really understand why there is a long, creepy snake at the Shark Reef. He doesn't really seem to fit with the theme. But here are a few brave kids anyway:


Ethnie and Carson make me laugh. Ethnie is full of spunk and fun, and Carson is full of humor and gentleness - they make a pretty great team.


Along with the out of character snake, there were birds:


Cute and beautiful and happy birds that were pleased to sit on my hand and pick seeds from my palm. Charming.

They were also glad to pick at Miles's flip flop. Which wasn't so charming.


Timothy felt extra special every time one of them came to his little outstretched hand.


And was a little irritated that not more than one would ever come at a time. I tried to explain that the size of his hand might be playing a part in the birds' lack of interest, but he remained irritated.

At the end of the day we tried to pose for a family picture. But somehow we only managed to get two of the five children in the frame.


The rest were off chasing the sharks.


It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment