Friday, April 18, 2014

On the Backs of Giants


I kissed my kids goodbye tonight just before taking the elevator down eleven floors and walking three blocks to sit on the cozy, brown, leather couch nestled in a quiet corner of Starbucks.  The last thing I saw in my apartment was Miles's glass-blue eyes turned down in a sad protest.  I want to come with you, he said. 
I promise you would be so bored, I replied.  I assured him that I was only going to sit on a couch and stare at my computer (I didn't mention the hot chocolate I knew would be simmering to my right because that would have just confused him (Bored? With hot chocolate!?  Not possible.).). 
I still want to come, he said.  I gave him one more hug, told him I would check in on him when I came home, and pointed him in the direction of Daddy.  And as I walked those three blocks, I thought about how lucky I am to have someone in my life love me in the way that only a child can.

Now, I've found my way to that cozy, brown, leather couch nestled in a quiet corner of Starbucks and I can't help but stare at this beautiful picture of my own parents.  It seems to complete the thoughts from my walk as I think to myself about how lucky I am to have people in my life that I love in a way that only a child can.  I look into my mom's eyes and see everything.  Thirty-two years of unconditional love has poured out of those eyes right into my soul.  She fills me with confidence. Her example of selfless love and service to her children inspires me and drives me to work to be a better mother myself.  Yet her example and the inspiration I feel from it is paired with unquestionable acceptance from her, and consistent assurance that I am beautiful just the way. I. am.  This combination is unique, I think, and something that I cherish from her. 

And my dad... my dad.  Our souls are crafted from the same mold.  He understands me in a unique and personal way that I have not found again.  He listens to me and guides me still in the gentle way of a good father, without judgement, and with quiet and profound encouragement. 

I feel like I am building myself on the backs of giants. 

And to my children: you are building yourself on their backs, too. 


You don't know it yet, but you are lucky (as am I) to have been born into this family.  Of course, none of us are perfect, but you have examples all around you of how to bring happiness into your lives.  Of how to love another person and how to build a strong marriage.  Of how to show love to others and to God. 


I hope you will watch your grandparents.  On both sides.  Feel their love for you and learn from their wisdom. 

 
They are remarkable examples of faith.  Of courage.  Of obedience.  My life, and your Daddy's life, were crafted in their hands, and I pray you will let them have a place in crafting yours.  They love you too, you know. 


So much.


And they want you to be happy.


And now you know what, Miles?  I'm going to pack this up and come back home to check on you and give you a kiss goodnight. 
 
That's what my mom would do.



2 comments:

  1. So beautiful! You have amazing parents. I know that I have felt your mom's unconditional love and acceptance. It's a beautiful thing. You are just as amazing as they are. I miss them and I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears to my eyes, beautiful words from a beautiful soul. You are lucky! So was I, to have such wonderful examples of selfless love in our lives from our parents.

    ReplyDelete