Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Transformation

It happened.



It happened as if something like this always happened.  When, actually, it's never happened.

"Can I hold Timothy?"  Miles has said this sentence before.  Just a small handful of times.  Two? Maybe Four?  But before we can even respond with a 'Sure' his request has always been rapidly retracted.  "Nussing (nothing)!  I didn't say anyssing.  Nussing.  I didn't say anyssing."

In fact, the last time Miles held Timothy was the same time you heard about... back when Timothy was five days old... And, you may remember, Miles received two pieces of gum as a bribe for that one (and watched Brian almost the entire time he was getting said gum).


Since that day we've rejoiced in the small successes that show that Miles is loving his little brother.  A glance here.  A smile there.  A pat on the head at the end of the day.  Last week when Miles came to give me a hug and kiss goodnight, he stopped and gave Timothy a hug and kiss as well.  That was big.  And then today, before I wiped the sleep out of Timothy's eyes, before I changed him out of his wet pajamas, Miles asked to hold him.

"Why, sure," I said calmly and slowly moved to transfer TK from my lap to his... fully expecting the retraction.  And then... it didn't come.  Ever!  I made it all the way to Miles's lap and even removed my hands.

And it only took three months, two weeks and six days!

Knowing I wanted a picture, but not wanting to ruin the moment I said, "Oh, would you like me to take a picture to show you what you look like when you hold Timothy?"

"Okay."


I only took two pictures to try to keep the happiness around.  But, that's all I need.  Looks like the friendship is starting...

4 comments: