Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Sneaky, sneaky...


I remember owning a periscope when I was a kid.  Oh was it fun.  I didn't realize it would be equally fun as a parent though.  My goal as a child? Spy as long and as quietly as you could before getting noticed.  My goal as a parent?  Continue doing whatever you're doing without buckling in laughter when you see the green head peek out around a corner.  It's not easy, my friends.  Not easy at all.  This particular night, I was mixing some strawberry jam into the homemade yogurt for the kids when all three kids, snickering quietly, poked their spy toys out from the corners... I couldn't stop the laughter from bubbling up from my gut.  I disguised it as a sneeze and ran back to the bedroom where Brian was studying.  "Bri," I said quietly through my chuckles, "you have to come help me get a picture of the kids right now."  I briefly explained the situation and pleaded with him to just stand at the island and finish mixing the yogurt.  "2 minutes," I promised.  Sure enough, after he'd been there for less than 30 seconds, all three probes made their way out again.  I only had time to grab one shot before they changed their stances and Miles disappeared, but it works.  Here's a zoomed up shot of the kids...


 I love how they helped Miles make his own little periscope with the little click-it blocks from downstairs.  The eyes?!  Killer...


Wish I would have been quick enough to get a behind-the-scenes shot. They were just too fast and sneaky for that...

7 comments:

  1. Your kids seriously crack me up! So much fun. I remember playing spy on my parents, without the parascopes though. We thought we were so sneaky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's how you always knew so much. I've always wondered how you did it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:03 PM

    so funny. I didn't notice the kids. When I finished reading, I had to look at the pictures again. so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! Side note: I'd love some pointers on homemade yogurt! Probably seems like a no brainer, but I never knew the best way to get a flavored yogurt - we've just always done vanilla. I wondered about mixing in strawberry jam... Also, my yogurt is always a bit 'stringy'? Like, you take a bite and it sort of trails to your mouth. It makes it tricky for me to eat, and really laughable for the kids to eat...lots of white goatees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Oh memories. :)

    ReplyDelete