Wednesday, November 7, 2012

So long, Mitten

Well... it may not have turned out the way we were rooting for in this family, but whaddayado?


Someone from Durham County School District felt it would be helpful to cancel school for election day.  That way the parents would have the opportunity to drag along all of their children to the voting booths to stand in enormous lines and explain to them over and over through their bored complaining that it was a privilege to be there.

But, it ended up working out pretty nicely for our family.  Thanks to early voting, I could take my kids to the library to see and feel all the excitement while watching from a safe distance.  The line was actually not bad, and we were even able to go into the voting room to see the booths and watch the people vote.  Not creepy.  Don't worry about it.  The kids even got a piece of bubble gum out of it.  (My sister, Amber, did too... because she looks like a kid.  My kid, apparently.)  Those bubble-gum people knew exactly how to make a positive lasting impression on my kids.  Voting = Bubble Gum.


The night was fun - eating homemade pizza, watching CNN and coloring in states.  Carson spent a portion of the night projecting "EN" whenever anyone would say Mitt.  (Mitt'en'... get it?)  And, why yes, I did draw that map of the United States.  Kentucky looked a little too much like a sledgehammer, West Virginia was almost the same size as New York, and I may have forgotten all about Delaware and Washington D.C... but Colorado?  Rectangle perfection.


I'm pretty glad to have my phone line back to myself, now.  It got so bad these last few days that no one even moved when the phone rang.  And in checking the caller ID I found that, in only 5 days, 38 of the 50 calls were political.

Anyway, you put up a good fight, Romney - R.I.P.
And always, God bless America.

4 comments:

  1. Nice map. Minnesota looks pretty good, too. At least you don't live in the first state to legalize marijuana and one of the first for voters to approve a redefinition of marriage.....sigh....great state we live in over here. WHAT is our country coming to??? I'm not usually too interested in politics, but I'm pretty bummed at some of the outcomes this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you drew a map for your kids. And I love Carson's joke too. We were a bit disappointed as well last night, but oh well. Life goes on. I can't believe how many political phone calls you got though! I guess that is one of the benefits of living in a non-battleground state.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of your map! With a professor of Political Science in the house, I'm sure you can imagine the excitement here! At FHE the night before the election Dan started with, "I'm glad we're all here this pre-election night." He couldn't think about anything else. We watched the election results come in while eating bean dip and hot wings. Looked more like a super bowl party! Hooray for our blessed country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, sounds like we may live in the same state! Yeah, it was tough having NOTHING go the way we voted but life goes on. Cute ideas, Linds :)

    ReplyDelete