Friday, April 1, 2011

Worn and Torn


I sent my 4-year-old son to preschool like this on Wednesday. In the pouring rain. I felt a twinge of guilt as I watched him dance around (but mostly through) the puddles on his way to the car-pool van. The poor boy was trying to walk on only the outside of his foot to keep his big toe from getting drenched. I'm pretty sure he wasn't successful.

Three hours later I sat in the carpool line waiting for him to come bouncing out the door with the rest of his class. My windshield wipers worked constantly to keep my vision clear and I saw a little boy walk out of the building, hand in hand with his mother. He skipped and jumped through the puddles and I watched the water splash up and around his bright green rubber rain boots. His mother pulled him along, most likely anxious for the shelter of her car, but the rain didn't bother the boy a bit...he was already sheltered in a bright green rain coat with the hood cinched up around his face.

And I couldn't help but think, Oh dear. Perhaps my son should have rain boots with a matching rain coat. But of course, I was just feeling guilty that I had sent my son to school with holes in his shoes. And his pants. He's just so dang hard on his clothes! Out of the six pairs of pants I bought for him this season, five of them have holes in both knees.

He and I went on a date last night to get a new pair of shoes and a milkshake, but he'll have to live with the torn up pants for the rest of the season. Is this a boy thing? I'm guessing Miles won't have many hand-me-downs from here on out...

8 comments:

  1. You know, you should get those Sear KidVantage jeans...don't they come with some kind of guarantee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, when I was little, I know Sears had a deal that my mom used for my brothers, that if your kids wore out their jeans/pants before they outgrew them, they'd replace them for free, or something. I'll have to look into that when my boys get a little bigger. Right now we have craigslist boxes of clothes that they wear almost every day, because they are good, cheap play clothes. They have some cute clothes from grandparents, but I cringe if they crawl through dirt and eat spaghetti and such in the nice clothes, so we don't wear them nearly as often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lindsey! I didn't realize how much I missed reading your blog! My brother and his wife are in North Carolina house hunting right now, and it made me think of you. It seems from your blog that you are doing as good as ever! Your kids are adorable! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not just a boy thing. All 6 of Katherine's pants have holes in the knees and some starting in her bum. I did use some patches to try and help, but they only last so long. I cut last years down and grandma made them into shorts for her. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Sears thing is good for shoes too! I just got Lil two brand new shoes to replace the ones she has worn out from October, and Benjamin has already had his shoes replaced once . . . might have to do it again before he outgrows them. LOVE this program! They just have to be the same size as the original pair if the shoe they carried is no longer in stock. Okay, now I'm sounding like an add for Sears, anyway, love the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking the same thing. Sears is great for little boys. the program is free, and it is so nice when you don't have to worry about your kid being a kid. Rain boots do sound fun, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby is very hard on her pants. I bought her about 8 pair of pants and I think there are only 2 I haven't patched. One year I repatched, but that didn't work either. Your imagery was fun to read though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Kenz doesn't do that? Alyssa totally trashes her pants (and I'm pretty sure her tennis shoes are coming close to that hole! :)

    ReplyDelete