Monday, January 24, 2011

All Pretty Colored Liquids are not Created Equal

I was not really happy to be awake in the first place. It was early...and I had been up late the night before. The mirror unabashedly told me about the smeared mascara around my eyes from the previous day, but this came as no surprise to me. I have a bad habit of never washing my face at night. I knew I could restore my face to it's base zero with a cotton ball soaked with my favorite eye-makeup remover, and a soft washrag dabbed with my favorite face wash.

The cotton ball went from light and fluffy to damp and dense as the liquid found it's place in the fibers. I closed my right eye and swiped the cotton across my lid.
Woah. This smells strong today, I thought. I clenched my lid shut tighter as it started to sting a little. I swiped a second time and a third before the stinging turned into a burning and I moved to my left eye to give the right one a break. As the lid of the left eye began to burn I stopped.
Wait a minute, I thought, I know this smell...

Nail polish remover.

NAIL. POLISH. REMOVER!

"What am I....?!?!" I exclaimed out loud. I dropped the cotton ball, turned on the sink water and began rinsing my eyes out. I tried to remember exactly what the bottle said regarding getting ACETONE in your eyes - something about 15 minutes, maybe? Warm water? Cold water? Thankfully I had my very own eye doctor snuggled in the bed behind my shoulder.

"Bri!" I said between the handfuls of water, "What do you do *flush* if you get something bad in your eye *flush* Warm water or cold water *flush*?"
"What did you do, Linds!?" he asked.
"Just answer my question!"
"It doesn't matter...just rinse! What did you do?"
"I'm acting like an idiot...that's what I did!" He came into the bathroom and picked up the open bottle of nail polish remover.
"Lindsay! Did you put this in your eyes?!" I felt like saying, Yes, Bri. I opened my eye and poured it directly in, but I swallowed the sarcasm and stayed silent instead. He started reading the ingredients on the back of the bottle and kept saying, "Oh, this could be bad. This could really be bad, Linds. This is acetone. Keep rinsing. Just keep rinsing." Unfortunately, the panic had done a number on my temper threshold and I snapped, "I know it could be bad, Brian...and I am rinsing!"

Eventually, my temper and the burning started to fade and it wasn't long before I was standing in front of the mirror, dripping and laughing at myself.

Moral of the story: Don't be an idiot.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness- I almost did this exact thing a few weeks ago! I laughed because I had seen a funny headline in some newspaper about Za Za Gabor's husband putting her NAIL GLUE in his eyes because the bottle looked just like his eye drops. So I guess it's a good thing your not the type for fake nails! So glad your eyes are okay:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. remind me to tell you about the time my neighbor confused her daughters eye drops with SUPER glue. Seriously. It was NOT pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a good laugh, and I'm glad you had a nice eye doctor handy, who could tell you "It doesn't matter, just flush!" and "This could be bad!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still funny! (and I'm very glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moral of the story number two: no more keeping nail polish remover on the counter! I'm so glad that you are okay.

    Brian...super elequant advice for an eye doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess the important question is whether or not it got the job done and removed your mascara?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!! And sounds like such pain too! Reminds me of the time that I was super tired & traveling with baby Cindy Lynn. I reached into the toiletries bag and brushed my teeth with desitin. Or the time that I desperately needed some medicine for the canker sore, and used wart medicine instead. (The compound W and the canker sore medicine were in similarly sized tubes, coloration, etc.) Now that was PAIN!!

    btw--great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I brushed my teeth with hair gel. Couldn't understand why my teeth were so sticky. I'm blind w/o my contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did someone comment about eye drops and super glue???

    Ooo, what rotten luck. I loved the way you wrote the story though - it read like a story! Hope the eye feels better...

    ReplyDelete
  10. AAHHH!!! Once my sister drank finger nail polish remover because she thought it was mouthwash... but she was little. Not to make you feel badly ;) It's a wonder more bad things haven't happened to me from being overtired and still expected to function. I'm glad there was no lasting damage.

    ReplyDelete