Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Anyone Wanna Help Me Rake?

Yes...my whole front yard and driveway look about like this - give or take a few spots.

We have been LOVING this fall season with all of our trees! How fun to live in a place where the annual 'leaf-fall' is much greater than the annual 'snow-fall'! I have to smile to myself when it snows here...the whole city shuts down (for valid reasons), yet individual blades of grass still rise above the skiff. Not so with the leaves! Almost every blade of grass is concealed underneath the vibrant layers of tree-debris. It's been so fun for me to stare out my big front window, mouth open in disbelief, and watch the leaves fall so steadily from our trees. As steady as a light snowfall, yet so much more colorful! So far this season we have logged hours of raking, and disposed of numerous piles of leaves...and yet - less than a week after the latest raking session - this is what (only about 1/8th of) my yard looks like:
Perhaps more disheartening than all the leaves on the ground, is all the leaves still left on the trees! I look up, and can barely tell that they've started to shed:

And so, I've thrown my arms up in the air and decided to let them all fall before I rake again. It's just not worth spending 5 hours outside to only enjoy a few hours of 'cleanliness'. So, if you come by, don't be scared off by the concealed driveway, or the seemingly non-existent path up to my front door...just enjoy the fall season as much as I do as I drive on the crunchy leaves, and kick them back up into the air on my way inside the house. Fall only lasts for so long. :)

11 comments:

  1. I would wait until all the leaves have fallen. It looks and sounds like a big job. Good luck when the time comes to rake them all up. I would help if I were close by. I don't know how much I would rake over jumping into the piles and throwing the leaves in the air. Maybe it's a good thing I won't be around to help? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a job - thank you for giving me perspective for when I have to rake the leaves in my yard. That's so funny about the snow - my husband served his mission in NC and he says it's the funniest thing to see how people there react to snow and cold weather. Schools close, snowplows are out for just a couple inches. Just know that as you rake all those leaves, I'm still jealous of all your trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hear ya on the whole wait till they are done falling thing. I raked twice before coming to the same conclusion. Unfortunatly my trees are done now, with the exception of a few stragglers. I just need to get cracking so that the snow doesn't get here before I get done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:58 PM

    It sounds alot of fun raking those leaves up. Whenever I take a walk, I like to walk in the leaves and hear them crunch beneath my feet. I love the sound

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsay--when we first moved here I could not figure out why everyone all around us had these blowers out doing their leaves. I wondered--were they all wimps? I mean--get a quiet rake, people! And then we started raking that first year. And raking, and raking. And then, finally, blowing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love NC fall and winter weather! Thomas was born during an ice storm and it was quite memorable. Looking out the window, wondering why it looked normal outside but everything was canceled. I was confused! We never did have to rake though. I don't blame you for NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that cracks me up! I wish I was there to jump in your pile of leaves. I barely had enough to play in. We always just mow ours up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's overwhelming isn't it? Our yard looks the same right now and our gutter are soooo full. This is quite a job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would totally love to help!... If I were there!!! :-( Good luck! We miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well......we don't have snow OR crunchy leaves. But it IS turning into winter ... the Thais are dressing the wild dogs in old t-shirts 'cause it's soooo cold. Gotta protect them from a chill in this 90 degree weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:28 AM

    Wow, beautiful pictures of the changing leaves.

    ReplyDelete