Friday, October 8, 2021

Scrambled Thoughts

1. Did I tell you we named the parts of our yard? 


It's a real thing now - with signage and everything! 
Now, let's talk about drilling holes into that cinder block fence back there. Actually... let's not talk about it because I'm still recovering.

2. Let's talk about how lovely it is to have hanging lights along that cinder block fence instead.


Because it is quite lovely. Especially when you can enjoy them with some of your very best friends in the whole world. Doug and Becky were with Joseph in St. George for his senior trip when one night they had a harebrained idea to drive four hours round trip just to jump into our hot tub and visit for a few hours. We love the Larsons!

3. Another type of fun is when you cram 74 people back there.



I love a full backyard to the deepest parts of my heart. The youth needed a place for their summer party and we all ended up here. All I had to do was tidy the yard and turn on the waterfalls, another leader brought boxes and boxes of ice cream sandwiches, and we were good to go. Easiest activity ever.

4. And while we're on the subject of the backyard...


This is me, enjoying it. Truly enjoying it. One of the most frustrating pairings of my life is the deep pleasure I feel being in lovely spaces, but the incompetence I feel creating lovely spaces. Designing and homemaking do not come easily for me. I spend a myriad of hours thinking and analyzing before I make a move toward any improvements at all, and by the time I do finally get around to making some improvements my mind is frankly sick with worry that I'm making a mistake, and everyone is tired of hearing about it. And I do make plenty of mistakes. This house has not been a love project for me. Every single step of making this house into my home has been stressful and fraught with obstacles and disappointments... but it's working. And I'm starting to see some fruits of my labors. 
Slowly.
So slowly.
I'm starting to feel more at home here.

5. We're the Birthday Babes


I didn't choose the title, and I don't particularly like it, but it is alliterate, and I like that, so I suppose that's satisfying in a somewhat special sense. We assemble for the annual advent of another voyage around the sun to fan the festive flames of friendship by frolicking forth with a festive theme. The theme this time was Dora, Dora, Dora the Explorer.

We went OVER the mountain,
INTO the Luxor,
THROUGH the escape room,
to the happy, happy donut shop! 
Where we each left with some sort of GI problem and spent the night up and sick. Thanks donut shop. 🤢

6. Timothy has a friend in high places


So high that this friend invited Timothy to an amusement park for his birthday celebration.


And rented a hummer limo in which to take him.

7. I'd say my pool boy is cuter than yours, but that might sound rude.


So instead I'll just keep it to myself and continue watching out my window every time he shows up. It's a good thing I watch him so intently, too, or I might have missed this gem of a moment when he allllllllllllmost fell straight in.


He pulled himself up from that fallen perch with the strength of a hundred lions 😆

8. Teenage boys are hard on things.


Good thing a trampoline is just a 'thing'... but still. This is the SECOND trampoline those four destroyed in under a month. The metal frame is completely folded.


9. We end with my favorite two little girls:


I really am so glad that someone (all four children) talked us into getting a dog. ❤️

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the awesome photo of Brian almost in the pool! And wow on the trampoline...second in a month?! That's pretty hard. (Now I'm curious how they did it? Just too much weight jumping together??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think that’s what it was. The weight limit was 375, and there was probably 500+ lb of boy on there. Plus they said that both times it happened when they were trying to double bounce one of them, so they all hit at the same time. Lesson learned. The weight limit really is a thing 😆

    ReplyDelete