Thursday, December 3, 2015

Zion - the land of promise and red dirt



Geez - such a handsome guy standing in such a handsome place, wouldn't you agree?  Also, I love that he's holding a sippy cup.  Occasionally I'll remember that these days of caring for little ones is fleeting and I suppose this is one of those days because having accidentally captured that sippy cup sparked a little joy in this tired mama heart tonight.  Anyway, we took the kids to Zion this year and tromped them through the 'wilderness' for a few days. They were quite impressed, if I do say so.  I was quite impressed, too, come to think of it.  I have a few treasured memories of hiking in Zion as a kid and teen, but it's funny how things become either more grand or more not so grand the older you get.  Zion = more grand.  Bubble gum ice cream = more not so grand.


We met up with some best friends, which made it all the better.  Friends always make things better.  




These two were giggly and silly the whole weekend.  It kind of made me giggly and silly on the inside to watch them.  This only girl of mine needs some girls in her life, after all, and Mikayla is just what I dream for her to have.  Strong, solid, goofy, sensitive, faithful... I see a bright future for them both. 



When McKenzie wasn't goofing around with Mikayla, you could find her with the littles... tromping, stomping, singing and encouraging them all along the way.  She is so incredible with kids - like, so incredible that I have to take care not to compare myself to her and get all jealous.  How did I get so lucky to have her first?  

Also, if I believed in reincarnation, I would probably believe she was some sort of monkey in a previous life.  She is nuts when it comes to climbing and swinging in trees.  It's a talent, really. 



Carson, on the other hand... he was not found among the littles.


He, Miles, Josh and Nano were much too busy catching Things That Moved.  


So busy, in fact that I got almost no pictures of them that didn't involve some sort of creature.


There was lots of water play (lots of water play)






I think these two should get married:



And then, Timothy.  This boy melts my heart.  I love that he spent the large majority having a blast and hanging out with us.



Such a Daddy's Boy.



One time, I found the most beautiful patch of light, quite by accident, and only snagged one picture before the moment was gone. 



Mostly I just loved hanging out with this guy.


And these guys.





3 comments:

  1. I so love Zions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. I miss you. (Today especially!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they got married, you wouldn't be able to buy enough brushes to keep their kids hair untangled.

    Zion rocks!

    ReplyDelete