Monday, January 13, 2014

Walking in the Light

Down the sandy beach path.


Through the park.



Along the paved running trail parallel to the ocean.


This is the way to our gorgeous new (to us), coral rock church building. 


Two miles between us and the church that are full of beautiful, beautiful scenery and - on the way home - sunset lighting. I may melt from happiness.

Did I mention it overlooks the bay?




Our ward congregation split last week and formed a (smaller) ward and a brand new branch.  We, along with the other members who live up along the beach, have been put into the new branch and could not be more excited about it. I've never been part of a branch before (a congregation that is too small to qualify as a 'ward') and the quaint feelings of intimacy and the electrifying feelings of missionary work combine together in such a unique way that I am so glad my children (and Brian and I) get to be part of it for a little while.



Two miles is a bit long for little legs, but we've never been this close to a church building before (in the last decade or so) and so the pull of the Sunday walk-to-church was too strong to ignore.  McKenzie, Timothy, and I thoroughly enjoyed it and, well, we'll work on the rest of the family. 


The first Sunday of the year, our sacrament meeting held maybe 30 people in the pews.  I had 6 of them.  The other large family had 7.  And 4 of them were missionaries. 

Last Sunday the number had jumped to around 50. 

A lot of that jump had to do with people coming back into town after the holidays, but the gospel is spreading like wildfire down here, and the missionaries are working so hard (around 80 baptisms in our ward alone last year).  I've been asked to teach the adult Sunday school class and was moved close to tears last Sunday as I watched the hard faces of adults who had been through hell and back soften with the simple truth that we are children of God.  And that he loves us.  

I feel so indebted to the Lord for allowing me to grow up with these truths being whispered into my ear.  I've heard conversion story after conversion story after conversion story and they all have a ring of similarity to it: I am happier now because of this. I know who I am. I know why I'm here. And I feel so much love.




I'm not sure how I got so lucky to be able to learn and teach this beautiful gospel in such a beautiful building. 

But I'll be keeping this harvest close.

5 comments:

  1. I've been to that chapel before! Sure is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! I didn't realize you'd been down here before. yes... it is beautiful, isn't it. I just learned that the reason the chapel is on the second story is because there is some kind of law that says that the 'main part' of a building has to be at least 15' above the ground because of potential hurricanes. Interesting, huh?

      Delete
  2. What a cool, beautiful building! That walk sounds so tempting...as long as church isn't at nine. The only thing that could thwart me from a beautiful walk is the thought of having to wake up early to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Is it just me or does it seem like, no matter how hard i try, I just can NOT leave the house before 10:00?!

      Delete