Monday, April 15, 2013

Rock Star of the Biome Bonanza Kind

Lest you think Carson is the only science lover in our house, let me introduce you to this ecstatic silver medalist:


Want to know everything there is to know about rocks?  Ever wondered what the differences between sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic rocks are?  This girl knows her stuff!  She'll tell you how rocks are formed and give you examples of each.  Need a rock identified?  You've come to the right place!  She studied for months to be able to participate in this year's Science Olympiad, where mind athletes of all kinds came from several schools to compete with one another.  And, boy, was she excited to be part of this team!


There were several science categories that these kids competed in... and McKenzie chose two for herself: Rock Star (where she learned all about rocks) and Biome Bonanza (where she studied the different biomes of the world).  Nerves set in the night before the competition and she spent the evening feeling sick in her stomach.

The feelings of nervousness were accompanied by excitement when she woke up the next morning.  It was time.  It was time to prove what months of studying and preparation could do.
"I just hope I get a medal," she said longingly as she put her shoes on her feet.
"I do, too, Kenz.  I want you to shoot for the best," I said.  "But, *insert teaching moment* just remember that you already have something that is way more precious than a medal... do you know what that is?"
She looked at me with a confused look and sincerely thought about what that might be.  After a few seconds she slowly shook her head.
"Knowledge," I said.  A smile of excitement broke across her face that warmed me to my toes and I continued, "Even if you don't get a medal today, you have learned so much about different things in this world, and that will stay with you forever and ever.  That's what I'm proud of you for.  And, if you get a medal, that would be awesome, too."

Down on Duke campus, kids dealt with the stress of the day in different ways.  Staring off into space... nervous smiles... picking noses...


...and they competed behind closed doors - but I can just see McKenzie milling around to the different tables of rocks in her Rock Star competition, checking boxes as she identified the hard lumps and answering all other sorts of other rocky questions.  She came away from those rocks knowing she had done well... and what an awesome feeling that is!  Her biome bonanza competition was not as easy for her, but she did her best and felt happy in the things that she did know instead of frustrated at the things she did not (such a skill that I'm still trying to develop).  And after all competitions were completed, the kids ate pizza and played in the beautiful sunshine while the judges graded the papers and tallied the scores.


Soon the results were in and all the kids assembled in the assembly hall.  The excitement was electrifying! 


At one point during the awards ceremony McKenzie turned around, caught my eye, and mouthed the words, "THIS. IS. SO. COOL!"  The awards for Biome Bonanza came relatively early, as they were going in alphabetical order, and she did not receive a medal.  I watched her like a hawk, my emotional sensors on hyper-alert to try and pick up her reaction and was delighted to see her clapping with vigor for her teammates who won the medals (who happened to be the two cute kids sitting right in front of me).  There wasn't any disappointment at all!  I realized in that moment that she was completely enveloped in team spirit... a victory for her school was a victory for her.

Even so, I have to admit that I held my breath and crossed my fingers when the awards for the Rock Star competition started to be announced... and - joy of joys - her name was called for the silver medal. 


Oh, was she excited.  Several times throughout the rest of the day I heard her mutter to herself, I just can't believe I have this medal.  She even wore it to bed that night. 


We are proud of you Kenz... proud of you for winning a medal, sure.  But, mostly proud of you for diligently studying.  For learning and for applying yourself, for going through with something even though you were nervous, for feeling proud of your biome bonanza performance even with the lack of a medal and for displaying such team spirit.

We LOVE you, sister!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, she's getting so big!! And I think that is so cute that she was talking to herself about how awesome it was to have the medal. Way to go, McKenzie!!

    (How on earth did she get from that big eyed baby she was the day I first met you???)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS--really I meant to have that last sentence be complete & coherent. Not sure what happened.

    PPS--just caught up on your sidebar there. LOL--you captured some awesome moments!!

    ReplyDelete