Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Getting Crazier

I know.

It's been a while.

I have a good excuse though.

You see... I've been sleeping a lot.

And eating a lot.

And laying on the couch throwing goldfish crackers at my children a lot.

And watching Curious George a lot.

And Dora.  Too much Dora, actually.  Waaaaaaaaay too much Dora.  After grocery shopping one day, I staggered into the house carrying only the fridge and freezer items, shoved the entire bags into the emptiest shelf I could find, barely made it to the bathroom to empty my stomach contents in an appropriate place, and then collapsed on my bed feeling a bit triumphant for accomplishing a Costco/Kroger run.  I let my head bob along to the victory song in my mind, "I did it, I did it, I did it, Hooray!" and felt like I had finished something as noteworthy as crossing the singing snake river, climbing over marshmallow mountain, and going through the chocolate forest.  It wasn't until after several minutes that I remembered I'd left my 3 year old strapped in his carseat.  

Phew. 


But, I've started to see color in the world again.

And less of the bathroom.

And my children have started to see a bit less of the television and a few more fruits and vegetables.

Miles and I usually get out of our pajamas these days, and the computer screen has lost much of it's nauseating effect.  

But Carson is on day two (and Miles is on day three) of not wearing any underwear, simply because there are no clean pairs in the house.

And all of my children are getting a little too much practice on Mario Kart.

And my bed has not been made for... ... ... ?

But, oh boy, is there excitement in this house.

Mostly from McKenzie.  She was let in on the secret early - around 6 weeks when I started melting into an unrecognizable lump on the couch - so she would know why I was asking for so much help from her.  And she sure stepped up to the plate... perfecting toast and pancakes, picking up the house, keeping the boys happy and entertained, and (my favorite) consistently offering sweet eyes in my direction and loving pats to my belly.  Several times she would whisper in my ear, "I love you, Mom.  I hope everything is going well with the you-know-what."  It was a happy day for her when the news was spread to the rest of the family and she was given the green light to tell whomever she wanted. 

Carson is a little excited, 'but a little not excited because,  you know, babies need to, like, cry a lot, and get taken care of a lot...'

Miles doesn't really get it.  'I not a baby,' he says.  "I know, buddy... the baby is in Mommy's tummy."  'I can hold it?'  "Not yet because it's still growing up a little bit in Mommy's tummy.'  'Oh,' long pause... 'den it will come out?'

Yep.

Waiting for early March...

13 comments:

  1. Congrats!
    This news is both thrilling and hilarious. "throwing goldfish crackers at my children" "marhsmellow mountain and the chocolate forest" ha ha ha! I know all too well. To this day I go running for the bathroom to puke if I hear the theme song to Caliou.
    I always tell my husband that being pregnant is basically like going through chemo, except nobody expects you to take care of your own kids while you are going through chemo. Sounds like life is similar for you. My sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the picture! So excited for you all and I can't wait to see you next month! Counting down the days. Only 28 days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I'm so excited for you!!! Glad the sickness is clearing up. I get a little nauseous if I listen to my kids' cd that played repeatedly in the car last winter during my morning sickness, and have some other queasy associations too. I bet you have the US coming up soon--are you going to find out gender?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to hear the announcement! Your grocery shopping story made me laugh out loud because it has been the story of my grocery shopping life lately. Grocery shopping is always a physical ordeal for me, but lately I feel like I've climbed mount everest. I have several times come really close to only bringing in the fridge & freezer items and leaving all the rest in the car for Mahon to unload later! (I've been stopped by the fact that it's been so hot here still and I'm a little afraid things might explode left in my hot trunk!) I hope you are feeling better. I've decided I think I'm kidding myself by saying my morning sickness has abated, since it's still really here... but it IS a little more manageable than it was when I was traveling, at least! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! Congratulations on the future addition! Sorry you're feeling sick. Thanks for your honesty. That is exactly how I picture being pregnant with number four.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!!! The part about McKenzie made me cry. What a sweet girl. We love your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah!! This is so exciting!! McKenzie is such a sweet girl. Hope things start looking up soon. Not much as miserable as the early pregnancy feelings! I always remember you saying one time that when you were feeling sick your mom advised you that it wouldn't hurt your children to eat cereal for dinner for a while and watch a month of TV (or something along those lines). She inspired me! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:31 PM

    I am so excited for you. I am sorry that you had morning sickness but glad that it is coming to an end. I was actually lucky this time. I only had morning sickness for 3 days and it hit me at the beginning of my 2nd trimester. Weird, morning sickness usually hits me in the middle of my 1st trimester. Congrats again and thanks for calling me and letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoyed this post. What a lucky baby to get to join such an awesome family! Glad your starting to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome story! One day when Miles is 13 or 17 and feeling persecuted and not quite loved enough he will probably pull that one out to prove his point. ;) And it goes without saying that I am excited for you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're excited too and we'll be sending you belly pats from the west coast:). Kenz is so great- she always makes me sad I had my girls 3rd and 4th instead of 1st and 2nd. Anyway, we love you guys and are so happy that there's going to be another little Alder in the world- we need all we can get!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea!! congratulations! I bet McKenzie is over the moon and she will be the BEST big sister. I hope she gets a little sister because I'm sure that is what she is wishing for. Hope the rest of your pregnancy is easy and healthy. Can't wait to see the new little Alder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad you are feeling better and I love how sweet McKenzie is being. The whole Johnny situation has worked out great. I took your advice. You are an amazing person and this little one is LUCKY to have you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete