Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Bit of Young Love

McKenzie


McKenzie: I have a boyfriend, Mom.
Me: You do?
McKenzie: Yep.
Me: Who is it?
McKenzie: Jack. We're in love.
Me: Oh really? What does that mean?
McKenzie: It means I chase him around the playground every day at recess.

***

Jack to his mother around Valentine's Day

Jack: Mom, do you know what a cupid is?
Jack's mom: Yes, I do. Why?
Jack: Well, a cupid is a little guy that flies around with arrows, and if he hits you with one then you fall in love.
Jack's mom: Yep.
Jack (in all seriousness): And, mom, a cupid hit me, because I am in love with McKenzie.

***

I snapped the picture above of McKenzie and Jack on her last day of 1st grade. They were sheepish around each other and quickly separated after I snapped it - which made me smile. Minutes later, I took another picture of McKenzie with her teacher and afterwords noticed that McKenzie had a funny look on her face. She seemed to be holding back tears, and I compassionately knew that last-day-of-school-sorrows had hit her. I put my arm around her, rubbed her arm, and asked how she was feeling.
"Good," she replied.
"It's funny how one day can be both happy and sad, isn't it?" I said.
"Yeah," she agreed.
"Are you feeling happy or sad right now?" I asked.
She bowed her head a little and, to my surprise, a big embarrassed grin crept across her face. "Happy." A little giggle escaped, and a flash of color tinted her cheeks. She leaned her head against my side and continued, "It's just that ever since you took my picture with Jack, I can't stop smiling."

---------------------

Carson

They're flocking, folks. Something about Carson's bright blue eyes, silky hair and mild temperament is causing the girls to swarm like gnats. Cute gnats, though. :) On Carson's last day of preschool, he was sitting alone at this table for no longer than 4 seconds before these three beauties scrambled around for a bit of attention. Unlike McKenzie, Carson is not committed to just one girl.....


He has been quite smitten with Elise for a while. She is a joy to have around and makes Carson feel like king of the world by laughing heartily at his 4-year-old jokes and saying, "You're so funny, Carson!". She seriously does this, even after she's heard the same joke 873 times. After a few kisses from her, however, he was quite uncomfortable and we had to establish a rule: you may not kiss Carson unless you ask him first and he says yes. I feel this is a clever plan because it gives Carson control, but I know him well enough to know that he will always say no (may that stay true for a long time...), and it has worked flawlessly. :) In the halls of church, Elise and her little sister have been known to call out to Carson as he walks by them, "Hey Cutie-pie!" "Cutie-pie, Carson!" And poor Carson looks like he wants to melt into a puddle of embarrassment on the floor... It's pretty much the cutest thing I have ever seen.

And then there's Emily. Awesome Emily. Emily has it in her mind that if she wants it, it's as good as hers... and that goes for her choice of man as well. After a heartbreaking denial from another boy, she set her sights on Carson. She proposed to him one morning, and apparently Carson accepted. This sent Emily into a flurry of action, drawing pictures of the two of them together, coloring their names together with hearts all around (though they can only each write their own name, so she wrote her name at the top of a page and had Carson write his name at the bottom of the page. I was instructed by Emily to draw 'a heart in the middle with an arrow going through it.') That night, as Emily's father entered the house from work, Emily greeted him with a loud, "Daddy! It has been the best day ever! Do you want to know why?!"
"Yes, Emily."
"Because I asked Carson to marry me... AND HE SAID YES!"

This love triangle has caused a bit of drama, but the two girls have worked it out together. I wasn't watching, but eye-witnesses have relayed information that there was a little scuffle between the two girls, a few 'No, he said he'd marry me!'s, and in the end Emily decided she would marry him first, and then when she died, Elise could have him. Elise had no choice but to accept.

Madison, however, does not know about these other two girls (sadly I don't have a picture of her yet). She was playing over at our house one morning, and around lunchtime looked up as Carson entered into the kitchen. "Oh, Carson!" she exclaimed, "You are so handsome!" Carson hung his head and muttered a shy "Thank you." She went on to say they should be boyfriend and girlfriend and someday they should get married. I watched as Carson uncomfortably nodded consents.

Perhaps Carson and I should have a little talk... :)

-------------------------

Miles

I think I'm going to keep Miles locked up for a while!

He is in love with his 'buh-neeeeeee' and carries him around pretty much everywhere. Bunny comes into stores and travels to friends' houses; tags along on hikes and rides along in the bike trailer; sits with us in church, cuddles during naps and bedtime and watches at a safe distance during mealtimes. When Bunny can't come on one of our adventures, he sits in Miles' carseat and welcomes him back to the car when we return.

Miles, you just keep holding on to that Bunny - - - and don't be too quick to follow in the path of your siblings!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE the picture of Carson with the three girls at the picnic table- so funny! This morning I told Marley that baby Miles (I should stop calling him that) was coming to visit, along with the rest of your family. She was quiet for a minute and then said, "Let's do det dem" (let's go get them). Don't worry though, she'll respect Miles and Bunny's relationship:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is seriously too funny! I love that Carson is so sweet to all these girls. I'm impressed that even when he's embarrassed he still is polite and says thank you. The joys of having kids. Hang onto bunny Miles. It's safer...for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that McKenzie and Jack have matching missing front teeth. What a cute post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They seem to be doing better than I am...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post, I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, what else could you possibly expect with those gorgeous kiddos walking around!!! I'd blame their good-looking parents... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute--I needed a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:27 PM

    Kids are great, aren't they? My Mackenzie had a couple boyfriends in Preschool and Kindergarten. Who Knows what will happen in 1st grade.

    Good luck with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I love that Kenzie has a solid crush and that Carson is just the ladies' man. I was definitely boy crazy from about 5 years old. I don't think my mom knew that though. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great. My boys aren't in that phase yet. Let me rephrase, they are all in love with the same girl...at least the 4 oldest boys! Aleky and Eleanor were born for each other but she's so cute and the boys are close enough in age that they all are now fighting for her affections. We think it's too cute to stop it.

    ReplyDelete