Friday, September 5, 2008

What is the DEAL?!

I think there's a law in my life that says something like, "No matter how much preparation you do the night before for a scheduled event, you will still always be late."

I am not what you would call a prompt person (though, I must say that I'm usually not the latest person). My internal clock seems to run about 5 minutes behind whatever any wall clock says. So much that I generally feel on-time when I'm 5 minutes late...when I'm right on time, I feel early...and when I'm early, I feel weird. Today was no exception. I knew it would be difficult to get us all out the door by 8:40 for McKenzie's first day of preschool (mainly due to the single fact that it takes about 35 minutes for McKenzie to eat her breakfast...honestly!), so I set out all of our clothes the night before, packed our bags, and laid out McKenzie's hair stuff. I planned to be out the door by 8:30 to give myself a cushion of 10 minutes...but we unavoidably left at 8:52. Does anyone else have this problem?! I plan, I'm prepared, I'm anticipating the possibility of lateness...and still - it happens.

I was not only late dropping her off...but I was a little late in picking her up as well. To make matters worse, we'd forgotten half of the things she was supposed to take to school with her (mainly because I couldn't find the list that was mailed to us weeks ago), AND I'd even sent her at the WRONG TIME. Half of the class was supposed to be there from 9-10, and the other half of the class was supposed to be there from 10:30-11:30. Evidently, McKenzie was supposed to be in the latter group. It wasn't a huge deal...her teacher said that McKenzie did well fitting in with all of the other children - but I still felt like a shoe.

Oy veh! I sure hope this teacher isn't going to be judging me on a first-time impression...because I have seriously left her lacking! Poor Kenz - hopefully she'll feel nothing of my negligence.

I guess all I can do is try harder next time - be prompt, be prepared with everything she needs, and, for HEAVEN'S SAKE be correct on the time!

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:36 PM

    LOL, you always seemed like a very prompt person to me. How bout this, when daylight savings time ends, don't set your clocks back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linds, I feel like that all the time! It seems like when children are invovled you are perpetually late. I thought it would be better when they weren't babies anymore. You know the inevitable explosion coming from the diaper region just as you are backing up. Instead now it's them dragging their feet until you are so frustrated you feel like quiting. Keep at it. I've finally had to plan a 30 minute cushion when I really need to be somewhere.

    PS How do you get your links to say when the last time they updated their blog? A very useful feature for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PPS that thing about Sarah calling cracks me up! Also, reading that you made swiss bread made me sad I didn't go to Swiss Days this year. First time since I've lived here. Sadness prevails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Linds. You crack me up!! I'm with you though. We're ALWAYS late!!!! I've started getting up on Sunday's at 6:30 to make it to 9:00 church and we still manage to be late. The only reason I know they still do an opening prayer in Sacrament is because Kirk had to say it last week. :o) Maybe your hubby could change the clocks without you knowing how fast they are? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have learned that when there is a baby (or children, I'm sure) involved, you must plan your life about half an hour early, because you will still be late. And hey, look at it this way--you weren't late, you were early (even if you thought it was at a different time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel bad we are always late. It seems like no matter how much I plan we never make it. I always wondering why it takes a half and hour to just get everyone in the car and going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lindsay, I am so there. While I was out in Utah one of my friends commented that if I'm so smart, I should really be able to figure out how to get places on time...I was not amused! I've decided that I have a couple of problems. First that I don't plan backwards very well. And second that I'm perpetually optimistic about how long it will take to do things...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's time for you to know something about me. I am usually on time for things. Yep... don't re-read that, you read it right the first time. Remember how I was NEVER on time for anything in high school? Well the last couple of years have changed that. The problem is... now I live with Whitney. Somehow we seem to make each other slower, so I'm starting to be late again- but really only when we go places together!

    Huh. I think I'm rambling. Okay. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's right- I'M usually the latest person:). Don't feel too bad...it was after a string of forgotten items and being late to school that I had to go in and ask Mrs. Gilbert if she thought Brigham was ready for pre-K even though he didn't meet the age requirement. I told her I felt bad asking after having been so flustered the last few weeks and she said, and I quote, "Oh, don't worry, I don't judge Brigham by your mistakes!" Meaning she DID judge me, just not him, I guess?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When do I NOT have that problem. Story of my life :) Oh, and Kenz's hair was super cute at the Duke game (from the pics :)

    ReplyDelete