Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Funny -


Funny that I should have been so nervous to mow the lawn. And funny that it gave me a little thrill when I did it. I mowed my lawn. I mowed my lawn! Funny that I should be so happy about it.

I used to mow the lawn every week when I was a kid - and I remember being so terrified of the one, lonely tree standing on the side of our yard. It would menacingly drop it's branches underneath itself, terrifying me that a tiny twig shard would fly and lodge itself right into the white of my eye as I passed over it with that ridiculously fast, spinning blade.

Funny that I was scared of that one tree. I can't even count the trees in my yard now! (Well, let's be realistic...I probably could count all of the trees, but it would take a good afternoon to do so.) And now, I not only have branches to worry about, but apples. Hard, rotting apples that have fallen from the apple tree. (Whose branches, might I add, hang so low that I felt like I was fighting a losing battle as I crouched, danced, and shoved my way through them with our ancient lawnmower - they definitely left their disapproving mark all over my arms!)

I only got about a third of the yard done before Brian came and finished the fight. Our ancient lawnmower is wonderful because it was given to us by some good friends...but that's about all it's wonderful for. :) It protests at every turn, and every lengthy stride as we push it back and forth, mumbling encouraging words to it and gently stroking the rusty handle. It died 4 times in the 30 minutes I had it, and I had to reach underneath and unclog the blade each time.

But, it feels good to have relatively short grass, and the 'cut-grass' smell swirling into our home! I'll miss that smell in the next couple of months when all lawnmowers are tucked away for their own little hibernation. I fear, however, that our own lawnmower won't ever wake back up.

Funny that, when it does die, I think I'll miss it. We've kinda bonded.

10 comments:

  1. I'm jealous that you have a lawn! And it looks pretty big--it must be, to be home to "countless" trees--how fun! I hope to have a yard one day...(and be a homeowner), but for now, I'll be grateful we have a second bedroom and central heating :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Good job. Mowing the lawn is a lot of work. It is one of my least favorite jobs, and I'm proud of you for overcoming your fears and just doing it. Once I mowed over a stick and it flew up and "bit" my leg. Yep it hurt pretty bad, but didn't cause any permanent damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR LAWN!! Oh... and you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun picture! I mowed our lawn for the first time last Fathers Day (gift for the husband). I had never mowed a lawn in my life and I have to say, I'm none to anxious to do it again. I do love love the smell of cut grass though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So impressed...I too, used to do it as a teenager (though always for pay!), but have never done it since...I think I've forgotten how. Eric claims that he won't "let" me, but somehow I think he wouldn't mind:).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do remember that Rodeo! Wow, that was a long time ago... but yeah I totally do...we were complaining about how chilly it was or was it rainy? anyway and you exclaim out of nowhere "I'm as warm as a peach!" We laughed so hard. It became the thing we teased you about from then on. That's so awesome! I'm doing really well considering my life has been on fast forward for the last 3 years (since we got married) we had kids right away and bought a fixer-upper and then started a business... SO I feel good considering. I just am excited for retirement!!! Only a few more decades. I have been loving your blog you are a funny lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah that is a little funny that you bonded with your lawnmower. But we all have had something that we have bonded to that someone else thought was a little odd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that picture of the shoes on the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm jealous of your yard too! Again . . . someday :). We just use a little rotary mower on our tiny yard :)

    ReplyDelete