Sunday, September 21, 2008

Out with the old...in with the new!


I'm always a little sad to see a season end. And the summer of 2008 will forever be known as the summer of the peaches for me. I fell in love with peaches this summer! Ooooooo, the sweetness, the juiciness, the softness. How could you not love a peach? We bought case after case after case at Costco, and each one served us well. That is, until the last one (pictured above). The last case was full of mildly disgusting peaches that got stored up on top of the fridge and forgotten about for a few days...and, as I pulled the peaches down one day to see if they'd gotten better, I literally gasped at what I saw. I sadly realized that peach season had ended.

A few days later, a neighbor told us that we had deer visiting our apple tree in the middle of the night. I had wondered where all of my apples had gone! Being completely clueless about how to tell if an apple is ripe I figured, 'If the apples are ripe enough for the deer, then they're ripe enough for me!' and I took a basket out that very day and gathered all the apples I could find that weren't rotten.

They're quite sour when eaten by themselves, but baked into this apple bread, they were simply divine! I have never tasted an apple so juicy and flavorful when baked into a loaf of bread. Something weird happened to the buttery topping...it ended up in the middle of the loaf...but the taste, as a whole, was fantastic - I've had little else for breakfast and lunch the past couple of days. In fact, I couldn't even get a picture taken before half of one loaf was already gone!

There is something extremely satisfying about making something with home-grown goods. Next year, I will plant a garden.

And, with this, I wish to warmly welcome my favorite season - Happy Autumn!

5 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm that apple bread looks good (wink, wink) I sure wish I had some apple bread (hint, hint). I know if I'm patient and good, I'll get to taste it someday (sigh).

    As far as the peaches, I'm sorry that you love them so much and I hate them so much. But I'm secure in my hatred for peaches... it does not define me as a person.

    I liked the pictures though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay - can I have your apple bread recipe? They've got a bunch of cheap local-grown apples at the grocery store right now....

    (And I completely understand your peaches obsession! Last year was MY "summer of the peaches"...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay!!!!! I'm so excited I found you on Sarah's blog! How are you? Good it seems and hilarious as always! What a sweet family you have now. I'm just so happy I found you!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of apple bread, but it sounds and looks good. I will have to try that some time. I know what you mean about making homemade goods. I love to bake and lately it has been banana bread. Sorry to hear about your peaches though. I hate it when something so good goes bad in just a matter of a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad but true, this is how far behind I am at blog-checking. The one thing that makes me sad is to realize I missed all the funny things that have already left your sidebar! Oh well, I'll have to keep up better :).

    I would LOVE to have an apple tree! How fun. Someday :)

    ReplyDelete