Friday, October 19, 2007

Gulp....

So, I was feeling great yesterday morning - no pre-triathlon jitters - just excitement as I was packing up to come to the beach. Then I arrived at the beach - and now - oh dear. I foolishly thought that training in the pool would be enough to prepare me to swim a half mile in the ocean. I forgot the minor detail that the pool doesn't have 8 rows of giant waves.

Here is a picture of the waves we have to fight through - yes - you can see FOUR rows of breaking waves here. (I have a picture of FIVE rows...but it wasn't nearly so pretty!)

The waves OWN me out there! Even after I FINALLY break through the surf (so the waves aren't actually breaking over my head), the swells still carry me backwards and fill my lungs with salt water.


Here is a picture of Brian and Merrill (both 6'4") so you can see how tall these waves actually are. After they came back in, Brian said to me, "Linds, if the waves are like this tomorrow morning, I'm not sure I want you to do this. It's rough out there."

Yes - I noticed.




I suppose the ocean is equally merciless towards everyone - so we'll all be fighting the same beast.

Wish me luck! If you don't hear from me again, just know that I fought a good fight and I tried REALLY hard not to drown. :)

3 comments:

  1. I wish you the best! Though if it was me I would never swim in it anyway. Sarah does NOT swim in the ocean. I believe that if God meant me to be in the ocean they he would have given me gills. I wish you guys the best of luck. Swim for all us people that don't swim in the ocean. :) (hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I thought swimming in a lake was tough compared to a pool. Just remember, no technique is necessary! You can doggy paddle or backstroke all you want. But just to be safe, you might want to get some of those "arm floaties"....Actually, as I look at my clock, I am realizing you are probably done with your triathlon by now, anyways. I hope it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY COW LINDS!!! I can't believe that you would try to swim in that. I think I'm scared just looking at it. I've never been swimming in the ocean before so maybe that has something to do with it, but I hope you are safe and sound and that they have boats out there to help you. But just look on the bright side of things. Your lighting bolt helmet will help you make up for lost time in the swimming by giving you an extra jolt of speed! :0)

    ReplyDelete