Monday, October 1, 2007

Computer Frustration

~
Our computer crashed last week. It crashed so hard we had to completely change the hard drive (thankfully we were forced to buy this ridiculous warranty through the med-school that was included in 'class fees' - so it didn't cost us any extra to get it fixed...). We were given just enough warning before the crash to back up all of our documents, pictures and albums -

I learned something, though - I rely TOO MUCH on this blasted computer! "What do I do?" I thought, when Brian took the computer to school to get it fixed. "I can't type in my journal, I can blog, I can't pay the bills, I can't put a shopping list together without knowing the sales, I can't converse with anyone...what do I do?"

In that week, the power went out for one night from 5:00 until 8:30. Again - the panicked feeling - what do I do?! Now I can't vacuum (I happened to have two lousy feet left in my hall to vacuum when the power went out), I can't watch TV, I can't listen to the radio, I can't even cook dinner! So, we all hopped in the car and headed for Costco to eat some cheap hot dogs and pizza... leaving all of my food storage behind. What is the point of having all that food if I can't cook it? I guess the point is: I need to get an alternate cooking source! While we were in Costco we dumped a full cup of water on the floor, both of our kids were loud and unhappy, and then they both vomited. Fun. Why did we go to Costco again? So, we packed up the rest of our dinner and high tailed it out of there with red faces and embarrassed, apologetic sorts of smiles for all the other people who were throwing us 'daggerish' looks. We ate our hotdogs and pizza by candlelight when we got home and eventually got our tired kids into bed. I sat down at our kitchen table - still lit by candles - and opened my new favorite book, Rebecca, by Daphne Du Maurier.

As I read the words of the book, I felt so peaceful - something about the candlelight, I guess - and I craved having more experiences like that. Wouldn't it be fun to live the 'simple life'? I would miss my computer and electronics terribly (so much, in fact, that I only like thinking about living that way...I would never actually do it!), but I enjoyed doing it for an evening, very much.
~

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your computer is fixed so I can read your blog everyday again! I've been going through phone withdrawal, and I agree...it's fun....for a little while. I'm sure all the people who need to call me are really liking it too:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My computer has been having issues too! The internet went out at our apt, but then I took my computer to the library and my computer wouldn't connect to the internet there or at my sister-in-law's apt! I have been so frustrated (I am on campus now--fortunately I can still log in to my BYU account!) We are too reliant on technology, and yet I am generally slow to "upgrade" to cell phones and wireless internet. When I finally do, I feel helpless when they don't work. Brady and I have gone on Costco dates...but maybe we won't go there when we have kids!

    ReplyDelete