Friday, April 1, 2016

Dribble, Dribble, Dribble, Shoot!


Basketball is kind of taking over our lives.  


We signed both Carson and McKenzie up to play on the rec teams this year, and it ended up swallowing us whole.  Two weeknights a week, they said... I was okaaaaaay with that, though it certainly was on the verge of being Too Much.  Is anyone else as protective of their evenings?  They are so very precious to me, I hate to fill them with Things.


But, in the name of Recreation is Important, Too, we signed away our Tuesday and Thursday nights to spend them at the rec center with Carson, cheering him on.  I was so proud of how hard he worked.  And I was so impressed by how much he improved during the short season.  That boy learned how to hustle!  And, two nights really wasn't that bad.


What I didn't realize when I signed them up was that McKenzie's two nights would not line up with Carson's two nights.


So every Monday and Wednesday night we were found at the rec center cheering her on.  Which, in case you weren't paying attention, meant that every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night had me sitting in the bleachers cheering my heart out for one or the other awesome kid.  Not cheering my heart right out loud always, but always cheering.


Turns out that McKenzie is quite the great defender.  That girl could move across the court, I tell you.  She worked her tail off and absorbed all of her coach's instructions.


Sorry, ladies.  This coach is taken.

Kenz took her games very seriously, and I was proud of her.


Those boys up in that doorway up there?  Love it.

And Miles?


Well, he was a bit angry most of the time that he was too young to play.  He would sit on the bleachers with his arms folded and his eyebrows turned down in a scowl muttering 'It's not fair' six hundred and forty eight times per game.  Sorry, bud.  I learned that encouraging him to be happy for his siblings was not effective... but when I suggested that he use this time on the bleachers to study the game and get pointers for himself, he took that to heart.  This boy loves basketball.  You will find him out on the court behind our house every afternoon, by himself, shooting and dribbling.  He's on track to be tall, too.  We'll see where this current passion takes him.

And Timothy?


Well, he spent the time in the bleachers perfecting tricks of his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment