Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Smiling and Laughing

I was just sitting here staring at my belly. It was hopping and jumping and stretching and vibrating for about five full minutes before it went completely still...lopsided, as usual, with the right side slightly higher than the left. It made me smile and I realized that I haven't been very diligent about keeping my 'things that made me laugh or smile today' column current. It could be because I'm feeling a little more pessimistic these days - or it could be that I'm just too tired to think at the end of a day - or it could be that I'm not doing much smiling and laughing as I wait for the end of my pregnancy - or it could be because it got pushed underneath the pregnancy picture and ticker so I've forgotten about it - or it could be because I'm not sure anyone really reads it anyway - but, whatever the reason, I kind of miss it. It helps me focus on the positives of the day, and it gives me a place to go when I'm feeling overwhelmed with frustration or fatigue to read about all the wonderful things that happen to me on a day-to-day basis. And let's be honest here, how could I possibly go through a whole day without smiling and laughing when I have McKenzie and Carson in my life!?!

So, I think I'll start it up again. Here are just a few highlights that would have gone up there over the past two months:

*
me: McKenzie, do you know where your sunglasses are?
Kenz: Ummmm....check behind the toilet. That's where I keep stuff.

*
Kenz: I made a new friend today.
Me: Really!? Who?
Kenz: A boy named Caden.
I remember most of her preschool class, but couldn't quite put his face to his name, so I asked
Me: What does he look like?
Kenz: He had on a striped shirt and blue pants.
Ah...thanks.
A few days later.....

Me: Did you play with Caden again today?
Kenz: No. I didn't really like him today. *pause* he had on a really ugly black shirt that I didn't like.

*
Carson's talking is SO cute right now. He has this deep little voice, an adorable lisp, and the grammer that comes with most 2 year olds. My favorite sentence he says right now (supposed to be "Where am I, everybody?") is: "Where is me, every-guys?"

*
Brian, trying to suppress a laugh at dinnertime, exploded the laugh - - - sending little kernels of corn flying from his mouth to rain down all over the table! ... Maybe it was a 'had-to-be-there' moment.

*
YELLING across the house -
kenz from the bathroom: I'M GOING POO!
me from the family room: Okay, Kenz.
carson from the kitchen: WHAT, KENS?
kenz: I'M GOING POO, CARSON.
carson: OH. YOU GO-EEN POO?
kenz: YEAH.
carson: O-TAY.
30 seconds pause
carson: KENS?
kenz: WHAT?
carson: I LUB YOU.
kenz: I LOVE YOU TOO, BUDDY.

*
I bent down to give McKenzie a hug goodnight and she said, "Whoa, watch out with your big fat tummy hangin' down there, Mom."

17 comments:

  1. I sure read that section on your blog! Yay for updating it again! Dang those kids are funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that just made my day! I really, really miss the days of hilarious comments- they are getting fewer and farther between:(.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I look forward to hearing the funny things your children say. They seem to have more than most. I mean how many children really keep their stuff behind the toilet. RANDOM!! They are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that they got me smiling:) I think you are smart to write them down because then you won't forget. I kick myself for not writing things down because when I try to remember them I can't quiet remember how things were said. J (my husband) wants to hear about all the funny/silly/weird things too so I have been trying to write them down on my blog or at least on a piece of paper that I keep on the computer desk so he can read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The funny moments you share from your kids are probably my favorite thing to read on any blog by anyone. I hope my kids are just as funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading all the stuff up put on your blog. I love the things kids say. Emma is way into singing. She is always singing, and the other day she was singing and Bekah asked her "Emma is that song from High School Musical?" Emma "NO that is from Emma Musical!" I love how things just always seem to be very simple with kids! :) The kids are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was totally laughing when I read about McKenzie and the sunglasses! That is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindsay, I love to read about all of the funny things your kids say/do, and about Brian spitting corn too! I've decided that one of the things that I love about blogging is that the process of writing down the delightful moments makes me remember them so much more. (Of course I never blogged at the end of a pregnancy, so it might not feel that way at all to you! ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I've missed the funny updates too. Your kids always make me laugh out loud! I think I'm a couple months behind on mine too though . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I check that part every time I get on! It's my favorite part! Yay for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure read that part! And of the rest as well! Those kids of yours a just hilarious! I can't wait to see them (and you!) again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, how i would love to live close to you guys! It'd be fun for Samuel and Sofia and Emmy to get to know their hilarious cousins!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post! I once tried to start a gratitude journal, but i wasn't very good at keeping it up. Maybe a gratitude section on my blog will work better. I love to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:12 PM

    That is so cute. I started reading your blog and Mackenzie asked, "what's that". I said a blog. She then said, O, I love blogs".

    Kids say and do the cutest things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i certainly appreciate your perspective on life. keep smiling...you've obviously have some great friends who love and care about you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8:27 PM

    just a quick question for you. I am trying to add pictures to my header kind of like yours. How do you do it? I am trying to do something different with my blog. talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I get so busy that I don't keep up on reading your blog as often as I would like, but it's always fun to catch up. I laughed out loud when I read the "check behind the toilet, that's where I keep things" quote. You are an amazing daughter and and amazing mother. I am so excited to see you and Brian and my favorite grandkids again soon. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete