Monday, March 17, 2008

North Carolina Zoo

I usually don't love going to the zoo...I guess the caged animals get to me. But, even so, I had a great time the other week on our spur-of-the-moment zoo excursion. We went with the Christians, and took Anja Black along with us as well. The kids loved almost everything - Here are a few highlights:

The Park in the Middle of the Zoo - why not?
How fun to stop and play for a little while!

The Sweet Relationship Between Snakes and Rats
How fortunate that our innocent children arrived just in time to see a gigantic snake devour a rat for lunch.

The Sad Realization that 'Ignorance is Bliss'
McKenzie's favorite animal is the flamingo...so when we turned the corner and saw the funny-looking pink animals, she literally squealed with delight and took off, full speed, to greet her feathered friends. Little did any of us know that flamingos STINK more than any other animal we saw that day. The smell honestly made my eyes water...and it broke McKenzie's heart to see such beauty ruined by odor. She refused to take a picture with them...she just plugged her nose and walked away. Sadly, it ruined her mood for the next full hour.

Suffering From Exhaustion
After walking 8 full miles on hilly terrain, the kids were pooped. We all slept really well that night!

18 More Pictures

6 comments:

  1. "A plague on bad zoos with bad enclosures!" Just had to add that:) Zoos bug me too, but it IS fun to see the looks of amazement on your kids' faces. It seems like Mackenzie is sticking with flamingos as her favorite animal though...she's so persistent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun time! My girls loved going to the zoo in utah. We have one here, but it really is not that great. I can't to see you all! Cute pic's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get so excited every time I get on here and find out that you've posted something new! Confession: I think your kids are so stinkin' cute. You'll have to let me know what happens with the flamingo thing. That's a very sad story. The harsh realities of life really can crush kid's magical views, can't they?? For example: the popcorn-tree song. Not really about popcorn. I'm really bitter about that. Example 2: Santa. No explanation needed. Example 3: birthdays. You think they are fun and wonderful, but after approximately 25 of them you find out you can't be on your parent's insurance anymore. It's hard to be me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoos.....those pictures are sooooo cute. It reminded me of the trip to the animal park in Atlanta. You, Michelle, Camron and Brett... What a great time. I still have memories of Sherida and I thinking everyone was watching our beautiful kids. We finally realized that they were actually looking at US. We were practically standing on our heads...loudly trying to get you guys to smile for the camera....we laugh about that still!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsay--we love flamingos too--they're so lovely. I took the kids to the Atlanta Zoo a few years ago. (fabulous zoo, btw) They have a large and beautiful flamingo lagoon right at the entrance. Apparently it had been cleaned just before we got there, and it REEKED! We could smell it long before we got into the zoo, and had to walk quite a way away before we couldn't smell it anymore. Sigh...we'll never look at flamingos the same again! (Gives some merit to the idea of plastic yard flamingos! ;) )

    ReplyDelete