Tuesday, September 12, 2017

A Really Great Dad


He comes home and goes immediately to little Eliza. He smiles and plays and snuggles and tickles, he laughs and coos and showers her with love. She loves him - I can see it in her excited kicks and giggles when she looks at him. And he loves her, too.


Before work he makes breakfast for the family every morning, and after work he helps with homework and dinner prep and discipline. He offers an ear to McKenzie to help her digest teenage drama, offers his advice and council where appropriate, and cheers for her successes. She loves him - I can see it in the way she returns to him over and over and playfully rolls her eyes at his jokes.


I guess 40% of children are born to single mothers these days. I think of that sometimes when I watch Brian and my girls (the boys too, of course, but I feel most tender about it with my girls - maybe because I am a girl with a great father and know what it feels like). I truly believe that the power of a good father is unique and unable to be filled by any other earthly source. Brian has a special power to be able to nurture confidence in our girls, and he uses that power with every tiny expression of love towards them.

We are so lucky to have him.

No comments:

Post a Comment