Monday, October 30, 2017

Accomplishments (Catch Up Post)


"Mom! I drew a person!" It's exciting, you see, because the person has all the appropriate body parts in relatively good proportions. The only thing this person is missing is a neck, and who needs a neck anyway? Or feet, come to think of it? Or hands?


Remember the honor choir she auditioned for? The one that I feared she wouldn't make, and so discouraged her from trying? And then she ignored all of my negativity and tried out anyway? And made it into the choir, and taught me the important lesson that I never want to be that discouraging voice in her life again? Well, I got a chance to practice that lesson of Be Encouraging when she came home from said honor choir and said that she wanted to try out for the solo in one of the songs.

YES! You bet you can, girl! (See what I did there?) We worked hard on it - and as I listened to her practice the few lines she would need to sing, my heart swelled with pride and I realized that she was good and that she really did have a chance at grabbing that solo!

And she did.

Out of a hundred girls she was selected in a group of five to sing her little heart out on that stage. We were so proud of her! Proud enough to stop at Friendly's Donuts on the way home.


The night of the performance we gathered several of her friends together and took them to see her shine. It was beautiful.


I was blown away by the sound that choir made - it was incredible and I couldn't believe they were all 8th graders. And when McKenzie came forward for her piece I couldn't help the tears from blocking my vision. Thankfully my camera wasn't affected by that, though.


After the performance I hugged and kissed and loved on her, so proud of who she is and the way she faces new opportunities in life.

Priscilla, Kenzie, Carson, Kaylee, and Emma


We're lucky to have her example in our lives for sure.

Speaking of lucky, we have a Miles, too. And one of his gifts seems to be in running. He's a fast little bugger, and his competitiveness serves him well in it. His school held races to determine the four fastest runners in each class, and then each class formed a relay team made up of those four fastest and competed against the other classes in what they called the Pumpkin Race to see who had the fastest class overall. If you look for Miles in the next collage of pictures, you'll see his competitiveness leak out of the photos.

1 - Preparing for the handoff. 2 - Ready to grab the handoff. 3 - Waiting for his anchor who turned around the last corner ahead of everyone else. 4 - Feeling like they're going to win this!


And they did. They won the race and all four of them got pumpkin trophies to prove it.


Miles and his best friend, Branch. Great race you two!

No comments:

Post a Comment