Sunday, July 17, 2016

Scrambled Thoughts XVIII

1) Don't Worry, Mom Will Get It -


Not long ago I expressed to Brian how hard it is to feel like I'm the only one doing things around here.  Or, at least, the only one who cares if things get done to completion. I told him that I feel like every time I turn around, someone else has taken a shortcut on their job that then becomes my job. Clothes didn't make it into the laundry hamper? I guess I have to go gather them all up from around the rooms before I can start the load of laundry.* Tupperware comes crashing to the floor when I open the cupboard because someone emptied the dishwasher haphazardly? I guess it's my job to stack them properly before I continue making lunch. Bathroom didn't get wiped down before the kids went off to school and now company is coming? I guess I'm scrubbing the toilet. Wet towels are crumpled up in a heap on the patio AND the bathroom floor? I guess I'm picking them up or I'll have a bigger, mildew-ier problem to solve later. To be fair, Brian disagrees with me and thinks it's really not as bad as I think it is.

The next day as I was cleaning out cupboards to get rid of appliances I rarely use, I pulled out this old Belgium waffle maker.  I haven't made waffles in this thing for years and thought maybe it would be a good idea to wipe it down before I took it to DI.  Imagine my surprise (or my lack of surprise) when I opened it up to find this. To put away a waffle maker without even removing the waffles?  Now that's a shortcut.

*And, don't say that I should just implement the 'if it's not in the hamper it doesn't get washed' rule, because I've tried that, you see. And it turns out I care WAAAAAAAAY more than they do if they're wearing clean clothes.

2) It's happening again


Every single one of my kids... they all reach a certain age and start losing those cute little baby teeth and it drives my heart crazy. I love those little baby tooth smiles.

3) I'd pay to spend a day living inside Miles's head


"Take another bite please, Miles," I said, trying to pull Miles from his daydream. It was time to get going, yet he still had half of his food left. "Miles.  Miles?  Miles!!!" Finally getting his attention I repeated my instructions. "Take another bite." His eyes widened and he looked quickly over his shoulder saying, "What?!?!" After a second or two he turned back to me and said, "Wait, what did you say?"
"Take. Another. Bite." I repeated for the third time.
"Oh," he said rather disappointed.  "I thought you said 'Chicken to your right'."

4) Just Call Us Cultured


We took the kids out to Red Rock to an outdoor playhouse theater to see Beauty and the Beast. We had a little while to play before the show started, so we found a meadow and ran around like crazies for a bit.


It was such a beautiful summer night. The kind that makes you feel like everything is right with the world.

5) I Really Am The Best.


I created a bit of a flood because my brain forgot that I was filling up the laundry room sink with hot water.  I filled that small sink for over half an hour and let me tell you, it was full. As was the floor.  And surrounding drawers.  And cupboards. And hallway.  Timothy found me after I'd already soaked up five beach towels worth of water and he was delighted with the situation.  Jumping up and down in the remaining water (which would end up using another two beach towels and two queen sheets), he shouted, "Oooooooooh, I LOVE puddles! I LOVE them! Thank you, Mama! THANK you!"

6) That Puppet Looks Almost as Happy as Timothy


I have a love hate relationship with stuffed animals. They can be just so blasted cute, but they tend to multiply so prolifically through the years that before you know it you can have stuffed animals bursting out of all the bins and beds and corners and shelves in which they were intended to live. Then when you go to prune them down and manage the chaos, they all look at you with those blastedly cute faces and you can't help but play Toy Story through your brain and before you know it you've cleared out new spaces and created new homes and invited them to live with you forever.

7) You Never Know What's Going to Become a Lasting Childhood Memory, but Candy has Got to Have a Pretty Good Chance.


Boulder City has her very own charming little candy store full of overpriced candy, sub-par ice creams, and stale chocolate truffles.  What else could childhood want?

8) Filed Under the Category: Things Kids are Good at that Grownups Should Never Try


He makes it look so easy, but the second I put my foot on that thing I felt for sure it would be the last of my tailbone if I went any further.

9) Some Things, If You Miss as a Kid, You've Missed Forever


Slurpee Magic is one of those things. I didn't realize it until I filled my own cup up on Slurpee day and took a swig. Not so magical anymore.

10) Music Feels Like the Pulse of Life When it Comes From my Children


I don't know if they were actively trying to get out of Saturday Morning Chores when they all picked up their guitars and started playing together. But it totally worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment