Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Wedding Post All About the Five Year Old


Miles submitted a Reflections entry in school a couple of months ago.  His kindergarten teacher took a day and had every child draw a picture and write a sentence on this year's theme: 

The World Would Be a Better Place If... 

It was all done in class and then submitted by his teacher, so I haven't seen his entry yet - but Mrs. P. pulled me aside one afternoon last month to tell me all about it and went so far as to say 'I hope he wins the competition, because it was my absolute favorite.' 

Apparently, Miles believes that The World Would Be a Better Place If... more people got married.  I guess he drew a beautiful picture of a bride and groom standing in front of the temple, complete with a grassy hill, spires, and funky, multicolored wedding clothes. 

Before submitting it, Mrs. P. tried to help him clarify his ideas.  "Do you mean that the world would be a better place if more people who are already married stayed married?  Because I definitely agree with that..."
"No," Miles responded, probably confused at the idea that some people who are already married don't stay married. "Just that if more people got married."

Miles had been deeply touched by my sister Michelle's wedding back in November.  He talked about the 'happiness' of it frequently, and gratitude for marriage showed up in his prayers for at least six weeks afterwards ('thank you for people getting married', 'please bless us all to get married so we can be happy', 'thank you that we can get married and go to heaven').  

So he was thrilled when he realized we were going back to Utah for another wedding.  This time to celebrate Brian's little brother, Dave, getting married to Michelle (obviously a different Michelle than the Michelle that is my sister).



Dave and Michelle opted to have a wedding dinner the night before the wedding.  Brian and I officially uninvited Timothy and sent him packing to my parents house for the night since, you know, Timothy is two and behaves like a Terrible when we're supposed to be adult-ish.  We then had a formal meeting (in the parking lot seconds before we walked in) with the other three kids about Appropriate Behavior and begged them to please 'behave as much like an adult as you can'.  
"Before you do anything," I pleaded, "please think of how it would look if Daddy was doing that exact same thing.  That means, no climbing on chairs, no bouncing in your seat, no making loud noises, never should your feet be above your head..."  by this time I had completely lost them because they were buckled in laughter picturing Brian making loud noises with his feet above his head.

"I hope that didn't just backfire," I muttered to Brian as we walked through the doors.  
It didn't.  They behaved like boring old adults.  


It was sweet to hear from Michelle's family and to get to know her a little bit better through their eyes.  She is a sweetheart and I'm excited to have another sister-in-law as part of the family. 


The next morning, we all got in our pretties and headed out to the temple.


The ceremony was beautiful, and there were some happy people to greet us when we came back out.


Now, at this point, I really feel I should warn you:  This post should definitely be about Dave and Michelle... but Miles kind of hijacks the whole thing.  He was just so stinkin' cute - both on the inside and outside - that I couldn't keep my camera away from him for more than a bit.


And, besides, Michelle and Dave had hired a photographer that was so amazing that I felt no guilt turning my attention to that little red head of curls that bounced and bounced and bounced through the entire day.


 Carson wanted in on the running action, too.


Eventually the call was heard, 'The bride and groom are almost coming!' and so we ran to welcome them.


But, of course, we waited for a few more minutes before they actually came out.



But they did eventually come out, and we all cheered and hugged.


Then we all stood around and waited to get our pictures taken in Groups of Meaning.  (This next one might be my favorite shot of the whole day, by the way.)


The kids were being so cooperative with the camera I just couldn't stop.  Because my kids are generally so not cooperative with the camera.





Mary, Dave, and Heidi were cooperative with the camera, too.


Eventually, we all got tired of standing around...


...and went back to Grandma's house for some lunch.  But all too soon it was time to get back into our pretties to head over to the reception.  This was the first thing that Timothy was invited to... and at this point, he hijacked my pictures because, look how adorable.


He was not as cooperative with the camera because he behaves like a Terrible and can't. stop. moving. for. even. one. ninetieth. of. a. second.  (Which is as fast as I could take my shutter since it was so frustratingly dark for pictures (but beautifully moody for a reception (which I guess was the point))).




The three Alder brothers.  I love these men...


Hot Chocolate bar?  Why didn't I know about this for my own reception? (Though, perhaps it wouldn't have been so popular for an outside-in-August reception?)


But, anyway, let's end on the point of this whole post... Dave and Michelle.  They were there too, you know.  And they were beautiful together.


Miles has a lot of wisdom in that five-year-old mind of his.  And, I agree with him.  I think the world would be a better place if more people got married.  Because, when done right, I think marriage is all about sacrifice and serving.  About loving another person and thinking about their needs above your own.  This world could use more of that.  And loving and feeling loved in return is one of the happiest feelings on earth. 


Congratulations, Dave and Michelle!

3 comments:

  1. I still can't believe that after all of these years of waiting they're dropping like flies! ;) And Miles' thing is too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for Miles to do his project on! I agree and hope he wins too! And congrats to the happy couple! Miles was much more thoughtful about his project than Caleb, who (after thinking of nice ideas like "...if there was less pollution") drew and titled his, "The world would be a better place if...everyone had 18 trampolines"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! Your kids are all sooooo good looking in their own very distinct way. I wish you were close by to give me some photography lessons!

    ReplyDelete