Sunday, April 17, 2011

Let's not do that again...

"Brian?" I whispered into the quiet darkness. We had already said goodnight and the stillness from his side suggested that his mind had already started to drift into sleep. But my mind was not quite settled.
"Hmmm?" His tone was gentle.
"I'm glad you didn't die today."
"Me too," he said after a slight pause. "I'm home, safe and sound. And we had good burgers tonight."
A small laugh escaped through the lump in my throat and I closed my eyes to fight off the stinging tears. It worked pretty well...only one of them escaped and landed on my pillow.



Tornadoes swept through Raleigh yesterday. There are three confirmed deaths so far (just in Raleigh), and many damaged houses and buildings...including the leveling of a Lowes home improvement store just outside the city.

Brian and Carson were 5 meager miles away, stopped in the minivan watching a 2 foot deep river rush down the road they intended to cross. Several compact cars had tried to cross and were sitting in the middle of the river, stuck. "Linds! I've never seen anything like this!" Brian said over the phone, "This is crazy!" Carson called a few minutes later. "Mom, dere was dis guy, and he was stuck in his car, and a big twuck came up, and the man got out of his twuck with a rope, and den the man in his car got out of his car and he was only wearing his socks! Den the twuck pulled and pulled and got all the cars out of the water!"

Clearly they were having a good time.

Meanwhile, I was sitting home watching the news and listening to the announcers say, "You need to seek shelter!" "Do not go into downtown Raleigh right now! If you are listening to us on the radio and are headed for downtown Raleigh, pull off the side of the road immediately! Do not go into downtown Raleigh! We are seeing very dangerous signs that a deadly tornado is forming!" "We cannot stress enough how dangerous we feel this situation is!" The predicted path had the storm passing through downtown Raleigh and then continuing northeast. Brian and Carson were in northwest Raleigh - out of the predicted path by a few miles. This calmed Brian's fears and gave him encouragement that he could finish his errands. But it didn't calm my fears - - - they were still much too close to it for my comfort and I kept asking him to turn around and come home. Thankfully, the storm followed the predicted path, causing the casualties 5 miles east of my life.

I'm trying not to entertain the what-ifs. But my heart went through an emotional roller-coaster yesterday and I realized, once again, how much I love and how tightly I am bound to that man.

And, my Carson, oh!

- I think I'll stop thinking about it now...

12 comments:

  1. I can't believe they were so close! I want to give Cars a squeeze after reading that. I bet you wanted to smother both of them with Lindsay love.

    oh shoot. Now I'm craving burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Linds,
    I just had to tell you we were driving on the freeway, with torrential rain, listening to the radio on our way to the beach to enjoy time with family. . . kept hearing "seek shelter . . . don't hide under the overpass . . . stay away from Raleigh . . . " We decided to pull over, since there was hail and VERY heavy rain, and hung out just under an overpass, and stayed for 10-15 minutes before moving on. You know the path of the storm? I know where it was, the trees were sheared off and it had crossed the freeway 2 minutes passed where we were stopped . . . and there's more but I'll stop blogging on your blog. Glad you were all safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, that last comment was me, NOT Jeff, in case you were wondering . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those brushes with a different life just take your breath away sometime, don't they. One day Russ was out working in the yard while one of the older boys was mowing with the riding mower. The mower picked up a rock and threw it at super-speed right at Russ's face--he said that in that moment he was sure he was going to lose his eye. Instead it hit him right below the eye, and he had quite the black eye for a while. But for days when I looked at it it made me more than a little queasy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Linds! That is so scary. I can't imagine how you must have felt. I rember my parents were going to go to SLC the year the tornado hit by the temple and I was freaked out. How much worse to know it was your hubby and son and they were SO close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy they were safe! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a mess! Glad everyone is safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad your family was safe through this experience. It's a scary prospect to be in the path of a tornado. I've seen one once and that was plenty for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just telling Brady this morning that i should call and make sure you guys were okay! I cant believe it! I am SO glad that everyone is okay! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were thinking about all you guys when we heard about those storms...and my first thought was...well they are all in Durham not Raleigh and then the thought came....what if they were traveling in Raleigh. So scary Linds! I'm so glad they were safe! And Carson will remember it forever! Sweet boy. What a day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my gosh!!! That is so scary! What a crazy thing to have happen to you guys!!!! I guess those kind of things really remind us what's important!!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:27 PM

    Wow. That's crazy. Leave it to Carson to love every moment. :)

    ReplyDelete