Wednesday, October 29, 2008

100th Post!


I feel like this should be a momentous occasion! I feel like I should be blogging about something insightful and beautiful! It's kind of like when you hear 'caller number 7' win $1000 in gas money, and you hope that he's really worthy of such a gift. You hope caller number 7 will value that $1000 as much as caller number 6 or 8 would have, had they received it. You hope caller number 7 is not some unappreciative soul that feels a sense of entitlement from the world and who has a bank account already holding millions of dollars. And you listen to his reaction to the gift and try to discern for yourself whether or not you think he deserves it. (You all do this, right?!)

Well, I suppose I kind of feel like that with this 100th post. I'd like this post to have some confidence and excitement about this, and I'd like to give it something that will make it feel deserving of such a title. But, since I just realized that I had 99 posts about 5 minutes ago, I don't have much! I suppose there is something sort of historical that has happened in my blogging world, though: I have changed my blog title. I'm not sure if that's taboo or not, but I've done it anyway. :)

My blog title used to be "All We Ever Need is Right Here!". This name was not just an arbitrary name chosen to deceive others into thinking our family life is perfectly content and full of sunshine. It was, instead, a sentence that came out as I was writing in my journal 3 years ago after I'd given birth to our stillborn son. Instead of an exclamation point at the end of the sentence in my journal, however, it was a period. A period of boldness and seriousness. (I changed it for my blog so it would appear a little more light-hearted.) It was during these dark moments of my life that I realized that everything I really need is within the walls of my own home. My husband was my rock - showing enough tears to be human, and enough strength to pull me along. He was my shoulder to cry on - and on - and on - and on. My daughter was my little sunspot - forcing me to get out of bed, to smile, and to laugh again. And my Heavenly Father (who played the most important role) was there to comfort me through his Spirit and reassure me that everything would eventually be all right. 'All we ever need is right here' became the sentence I latched on to...the one I think about when I'm disturbed by some outside problem...the one I always want to remember...

So, why did I change it? Because I've found something new to latch onto. I will take the previous sentence and tuck it gently into a comfortable, padded room called 'things that mean the most to me'. And I will pull a new sentence out...something that will hopefully develop a different side of my personality...

'Turning Tomorrow into Yesterday". This name is not just an arbitrary name chosen to sound philosophical and analytical. It is, instead, a thought that came from my little preschooler on our way to school. She asked, "Do you remember when yesterday was tomorrow?" My mind turned the statement upside-down and I thought to myself, "Yes...and soon tomorrow will be yesterday as well." I couldn't get these thoughts from my mind for 3 whole days as I turned the words around and around and around, analyzing it from every perspective imaginable. A family motto is forming around these ideas as I've realized how important it is to spend each day creating positive memories that will last into tomorrow. I feel like I waste so many hours of a day...whether I'm vacuuming mindlessly, reading to my kids with no emotion, watching a dumb TV show, or sifting through pictures on my computer without letting them touch and remind me of the experiences they came from. I think that, maybe, each experience can be an enriching one - one that will make memories and/or teach life lessons. President Monson quoted a grandmother who said of her young mothering life "I wish I had enjoyed the doing a little more, and the getting it done a little less." I guess this is what I want for my family as well. To enjoy doing things...and to always remember that we are, right now, turning tomorrow into yesterday.

And so, in my 100th post, I officially change my blog name from 'All We Ever Need is Right Here!' to 'Turning Tomorrow into Yesterday".

12 comments:

  1. You have good insights, Linds. I need to enjoy the doings a little more and worry a little less that my laundry isn't done and my house isn't too organized right now. BUT I do feel more relaxed and perceptive to the Spirit when I feel organized...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay - you are always so inspiring and uplifting. Any 100th post of yours would be worth it's title! And this one is no different. Thank you so much for sharing such sweet and intimate insights that help those of us who aren't quite there yet to carry on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I didn't know that you had this experience, and I'm sorry for your loss. I understand completely the feelings of having everything you need... I felt that a lot while we waited so long for our little Iris. I had a hard time realizing that I could hope for a great blessing while being content and grateful with the wonderful miracle that was and is Abby. You are a brave person to be given this trial. You have my utmost respect and admiration for the person you are.

    And to celebrate your 100th post I think the ward should have a big party tonight with games and tons of candy. And since it is so close to Halloween, we should all dress our kids up in their costumes and take them around from trunk to trunk while they get bucket loads of chocolate that we can sneak and eat while they sleep! What do you say?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your 100th post! I always enjoy reading your blog, you are very inspiring. You've always been the type that seems to make the most out of life. And by the way, although I don't think you and Michelle look identical there is a definite similarity that leaves no question that you two are sisters. Both beautiful as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very 100th post-worthy. Gosh. Makes me debate what I should do for mine. After all... I do have, like... 8 of them already. I better get thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...what a great post. I'm so sorry for your loss - I had no idea. Isn't it amazing how some of the worst experiences of your life can be such an eye-opener on how blessed you really are? I know when I had a miscarriage almost exactly three years ago, it really made me examine my life and I, too, realized how all I needed was all the people who were closest to me through it all. Thanks for being so open about your life - in these last couple months I've been following your blog, I've definitely learned a lot from you. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your 100th post! I am not a consistent blogger so it may take me a few years to get there! Thank you for sharing your inspiring story. I felt comforted as I read it and know that there is a reason why we have these experiences, even if we don't understand it now- we must continue to endure. Also thank you for the sweet comments you have left on my blog lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 100 post that is just crazy:) I think that I have maybe done 30 or so in the last year. I am so glad to find your blog - or that you found mine. It is so good to see what it happening in friends' lives. I am sorry to hear about your baby that must have been so hard but it appears that you have grown from the experience. Your new blog name has me thinking as well - thanks;) Time does just go by so fast and we are always regretting not doing things so I am going to try and focus on the present not the past or future too much. I hope you guys have a Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:13 PM

    You have a really good insight on stuff. I really enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:08 PM

    Big huge congrats on 100! It's a wonderful new title with great meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lindsay--great new blog title--looking forward to a future of wonderful yesterdays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have actually been thinking a lot lately about changing my blog title too. Maybe I will... Great post!

    ReplyDelete